Whats Largest Roach ?

NickD

and si, does the fact you've been a member longer than phil dean mean he can't ask who you are? i've been here a while and have only seen you in the last few weeks, so i was wondering the same thing.

Where did I say that he couldn`t ask who I was?

Just because I don`t post all that much doesn`t mean that I`m not active, I tend to read more than I post.

I used to run www.carpfishinguk.net before I closed the site earlier this year due to workload and other projects and things.

I`m an active carp angler and sometimes fish for other species.

If you want to know why I received moderator rights, then you should ask Elton, as its his site and his decision :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, cut Si... some slack.

Anyone who does mod work on this site for me does so freely, and with the best intentions. Si... has been around ages - he's just not as vocal as some and was busy with his own site before, and his business now. I've got lots of people who help me out, some of whom you'll have never seen post on here, some who have about 2 posts to their name. Not all my helpers are Newts :D

Forgive him for trying to help keep this thread on track and vaguely fishing-related. :huh:

Those who want to discuss non-fish 'roaches' may like to join Ben in the non-fishing chat :D

Back to the topic...(please)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Errrrrrrr, thought we were back on track!

Welcome, Si, and thanks for coming out. Carp fisherman I see!!!

We've managed to educate Newt, John took a bit longer, nice to have a new victim! You will need a sense of humour.

A few years ago a good friend and brilliant salmon angler told me of a time when he worked the nets on the lower Tay. They took a sweep and netted a shoal of roach. These were dumped in a field, as was the practice on the river then, as a fisherman he later went to look at these fish. He then weighed the biggest 2, the smallest went just over 4 the biggest 5. These fish came from the brackish water down near the mouth of the earn.

This is awesome! Brackish water - are we saying virtually the estuary? Do they still get good roach shoals in the Tay? And I wonder if big roach can be found in brackish water more often and no-one fishes for them?

john clarke

There is a very brackish lake on the East Coast that, so I am told, holds some very good roach. I am very tempted to fish it but, for whatever reason, never actually get there. What is interesting is that there are no bream in this lake, so the fish won't be hybrids.

At one time Oulton Broad held the perch record, another brackish water.

For a number of years the Broad's link with the sea was closed. Now it is back up and running, a lock through to saltwater, the fishing has improved.

During the winter salt pushes high up into the Broads, but, interestingly, whilst the fish finder shows large shoals of fish, the fish are rarely caught. Presumably the salt puts them off feeding.

During the winter salt pushes high up into the Broads, but, interestingly, whilst the fish finder shows large shoals of fish, the fish are rarely caught. Presumably the salt puts them off feeding.

Puzzling. I see what you're saying, and yet the roach in the brackish lake you mentioned must have fed regularly to get big. Do people fish for them when the salt pushes up river? Could it be they are rarely fished for cos anglers expect the salt to put them off?

john clarke

Its the sudden influx of salt that appears to put them off feeding. Waters that get run-off of salty water from roads in the winter appear to suffer in the same way. Up in the Baltic pike, apparently, thrive in the very breckish water. Constant breckishness appears to harbour some good fish.