Someone Is Listening

M.P

What a complete and utter knob you are Jaffa.

Your entitled to express your opinion of me, just as you, me and Greenpeace are about the rights and wrongs of the dolphin bycatch/ pair trawl issue.

Although everyone is entitled to an opinion about this very emotive subject, it is just not acceptable to act in a way which intimidates other people and threatens their legal livelihood.

The way that Greenpeace chose to target the small team Ocean Star/Ocean Crest, putting those crews lives at risk was a disgrace in my opinion. It was also a disgrace to see the slow reaction of the authorities in doing anything about it. Also a disgrace IMHO was the total lack of any objective coverage by UK newspapers ; where were the journalists questioning the figures being bandied about by Greenpeace?

By

Its great living in the Uk sometimes mad.gif . Whats the difference between a Paedophile and a Paediatrician again? mad.gif Nay difference at all to the mob sad.gif

I meant that i saw similarities in the the way the two issues were handled by the media and the of dangers of mob rule of any kind.

Having had the experience of living above someone, that the local "worthies" had decided was a paedophile, and having to deal with the consequent local "youth" harassment of the guy, and the very real worry about the risks to my family if someone torched the flat below, I rapidly got to dislike our wonderful newspapers incitement and rabble rousing.

You ever consider the effect on those crews and their families , to be hounded by greenpeace, splashed as villians across the papers and internet, with, unless I missed a paragraph tucked away somewhere, no coverage given to their side of things, or to the fact that what they were doing was perfectly legal.

I guess not eh Bob? The ends justify the means?

To be thought of as a "knob" by a small minded brownshirt like yourself is an honour Bob. Just my opinion like ;)

Tight Lines,

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You ever consider the effect on those crews and their families , to be hounded by greenpeace, splashed as villians across the papers and internet, with, unless I missed a paragraph tucked away somewhere, no coverage given to their side of things, or to the fact that what they were doing was perfectly legal.

I guess not eh Bob? The ends justify the means?

To be thought of as a "knob" by a small minded brownshirt like yourself is an honour Bob. Just my opinion like ;)

Tight Lines,

Chris

Your pathetic comparison between peodiatrician and a peodophile is dispicable.

Your comparison between something as serious and nasty as peodophilia with something as trivial as commercial fishing is even worse.

You are a complete knob.

Guest binatone

I have been coming on this forum now for months, have read a lot and posted some myself.

I will stand by my original comments that I made when I first came on. Please don’t slag off an industry that you obviously know nothing about.

I stand by those words as I have read nothing in the last few months to suggest otherwise.

Jaffa thanks again for your kind words and obvious knowledge that you have on the fishing industry and the every day crap that we have to put up with from sensational journalism weather it be in paper form or internet jargon.

Wurzel I can only say that I admire your restraint.

The only trivial thing on this forum is the amount of fact. That comes from some who hate what they cannot and never will understand.

Now I am off angling on this wet and windy night. Hopefully big cod and @autumn@ will have left me something, but if I don’t catch anything I will not blame the commercials because I know its not there fault….. I know it and so do many more on here it’s just sometimes easier to blame others and by the looks of it get nasty with it.

Guest @AUTUMN@

Years of experience tells us what we catch now is only a small percentage of what we would have caught from the same venue with the same conditions in the not too distant passed. I have a very extensive diary. Every year the catches fall theres no denying it. I guess you will blame your technique and knowledge when you have a poor night Binatone? Some sense for you in the saying a poor workman blames his tools.

Good luck all the same.

Guest binatone
Years of experience tells us what we catch now is only a small percentage of what we would have caught from the same venue with the same conditions in the not too distant passed. I have a very extensive diary. Every year the catches fall theres no denying it. I guess you will blame your technique and knowledge when you have a poor night Binatone? Some sense for you in the saying a poor workman blames his tools.

Good luck all the same.

Good point. But I have an advantage over you as in I am a poor angler and therefore if I try harder I can only get better and that’s what’s been happening to my fishing over the last few years.

You being great know that the end is near. I being crap and knowing it has given me the opportunity to have years of recreational fishing.

Perhaps if you lower your expectations and raise your ability to be forever disappointed they could be a future for you in the sport yet.

I got angry reading what you wrote before this bit, and thought "he is pig ignorant". Maybe its me that is though :(

But IME be very wary of gettting sucked into that "glow" where you are cool with Greenpeace though. Believe it or not the commercials have been there. The shetland boat "Starina" (if my crap memory is right) was used by them for the Brent Spar stuff, and there was loads of nice things said by greenpeace about the help from fishermen in "remote" communities (they love that stuff), loads of positive press weight, until they changed focus (think like walmart if you want to understand greenpeace IMHO) and suddenly they were the enemy - no holds barred whatsoever.

Chris.

Just the opinion of a madman and "paid up" employee of the evil commercial fishing/industrial farming brigade you understand ;)

Jaffa,

i don't see commercial fishing as evil at all, its a everyday part of life as everyone, myself included enjoys fresh fish. however i do see it as overindulged by Government, underenforced, short termist and irresponsible.

I do understand the necessity of it, and the financial and physical hardship of the job, but due to past problems and potential future ones i feel it should be reigned back a bit thats all, and i am not convinced by the CEFAS stats and neither are the Irish among others about bass sustainability particularly given the cod experience. I am not only concerned about bass either, the sand-eel and anchovy fisheries also need to be addressed.

In regard to Greenpeace, i concur they can be fickle being dominated by the far left. I judge them on a case by case basis.

My comment about the scots pair trawls were based on my involvement in 'spotting' them. I can tell the board ( from the horses mouth) that the reason French pair teams have not been tackled is due to lack of intelligence on the ground in France. In the UK, GP know where and when these Scots boats refuel, land and where they are headed through a network of information providers, making them easier to target and follow. The GP boats can also refuel at any UK port without problems. Sadly thats not the case in France.

Greenpeace cannot afford to send a boat and crew on a 600 mile round trip out to the western approaches on the hope a French team may or may not be there, but they can afford to shadow a Scots team from port and back.

GB

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

Im one for seeing things for how they are.

From the age of 4 years old up until around the age of 15 I could catch lots of good sized cod from my Dads boat. Now I havnt had one over 4lb for 6 years.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Jaffa,

i don't see commercial fishing as evil at all, its a everyday part of life as everyone, myself included enjoys fresh fish. however i do see it as overindulged by Government, underenforced, short termist and irresponsible.

I do understand the necessity of it, and the financial and physical hardship of the job, but due to past problems and potential future ones i feel it should be reigned back a bit thats all, and i am not convinced by the CEFAS stats and neither are the Irish among others about bass sustainability particularly given the cod experience. I am not only concerned about bass either, the sand-eel and anchovy fisheries also need to be addressed.

In regard to Greenpeace, i concur they can be fickle being dominated by the far left. I judge them on a case by case basis.

My comment about the scots pair trawls were based on my involvement in 'spotting' them. I can tell the board ( from the horses mouth) that the reason French pair teams have not been tackled is due to lack of intelligence on the ground in France. In the UK, GP know where and when these Scots boats refuel, land and where they are headed through a network of information providers, making them easier to target and follow. The GP boats can also refuel at any UK port without problems. Sadly thats not the case in France.

Greenpeace cannot afford to send a boat and crew on a 600 mile round trip out to the western approaches on the hope a French team may or may not be there, but they can afford to shadow a Scots team from port and back.

GB

Well we both agree on the failure of past goverment to manage fisheries, though no doubt we will disagree on who is most responsible. You see goverments as "indulging" the commercials, while I see it as something that was inflicted on them and did grevious harm. I doubt we can easily come to any point of agreement on that one.

I don't believe you do understand "the financial and physical hardship of the job" . I don't understand how you can say that in view of the kind of actions greenpeace took against the Ocean Star/Crest (and their real human being crews, who never asked to be thrust into the limelight).

The greenpeace "action" shots of their direct action tactics really had me wincing. I've not done enough time on commercial fishing boats to speak for them ( would love to hear John and Binatones views on it) but IME, from years spent construction diving and all the joys of winches, wires under strain, , the sight of guys getting themselves between two 60ft solid objects( who were attempting to haul great lentghs of tensioned wire) just looked insanely dangerous. If they had been in any dive team I have worked with they would have been chucked off the job quicktime.The allegations that they were trying to wrap chains around the wraps, drop weights into the nets , ring true to me as well.

Plenty of people die or get hurt at sea as it is, without these "heroes".

You check out the shelter decks on those boats? You understand the reduction in visibility that it means for the skipper, when hes trying to control the hauling of the net, and then also deal with RIBs flying about, guys in the water, the safety of his own crew; its bloody easy to get injured around any of the gear on a trawler- seriously bloody injured.

Financially it can not have been too funny for one small pair team to be picked upon just because it was easy, cheap and convinient too.

They only earn from what they catch. Have you really thought through the effect on the 8/10 crew involved? Guys doing something that is perfectly legal under UK law?

Im sure you did your spotting with the best possible motives as you saw them. Consider this though:

If someone had been killed or seriously hurt out there where would that leave you? IMHO, and only based on Scots law, if these events had occured off the east of Scotland it would be a very fine line between what greenpeace did and the common law crime of Malicious mischief (not as "quaint" as it sounds; its common law ). You, as a self confessed "spotter" leave yourself wide open to also being charged.

I have no idea if the English law has something similar, and given the happy fact that no one got hurt this time, its mostly irrelevent, unless that team (would be highly unlike any fishermen i've heard of) pursused a civil action for loss of earnings.

The benefit to RSA's from all this gangster activity? Has one single thing from that whole sorry episode helped the case of RSA'a as they now have to deal with commercials and the goverment on the BMP?

Why on earth would most commercials even give you the time of day, let alone trust you?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net