Suffolk Beaches/catches

tommyk

Went to Shingle Street a couple of weeks ago and had just a few small bits. We are going again this Sunday so hopefully it will have picked up a bit. Certainly should have coloured up after all the wind.

Tommy, the only shallower bit that I know is towards the shingle bar, which is down the end of the houses area, near the river mouth. The rest of the beach appears to be fairly much the same all the way up to EastLane. Have fished it all the way along here and can't say as I have noticed any dramatic changes in the depths. Most people fish around the area of the first Martello/in front of houses, or they walk for five or ten minutes to the right. I have had the odd codling at every mark I have fished here, so it doesn't seem to me to make a great deal of difference. It is deepish water all along. Hope this helps and good luck.....................

There seems to be some confusion here.

Shingle street is to the South of the mouth of the river Alde (think thats the river).

Inbetween you have Orford Island (not really an Island but about a 10 mile long shingle bank).

At Orford on the Alde you can get a ferry at certain times (book up first!!!!!!) across to the Island which is a very lonely desolate place. You can fish any mark as far as you can walk.

Best areas the Narrows or near the lighhouse / martello tower.

Its very deep close in and 8oz breakaways are normally needed along with 45 deg casts way along the beach. The tide is very very strong and you kind of uptide style fish with a bow in your line.

The river runs all along the back of the island right up to Aldburgh.

At Aldburgh you can either fish the town beach, best place in front of the hotel.

To the right is what is known as The dirty wall which is the start of the Island.

Here it starts to get deepish and the further down the Island you go the deeper it gets.

Access to motor vehicals is restricted as one of the nature lot (rspb, suffolk wildlife trust?) bought the Island or its rights and has put a gate across the track which is locked all the time.

In days gone all manner of offroaders attempted to get as far down the Island as they could.

You can walk as far as you want but belive me theres some walking to be done.

East lane is a bit further round than shingle street and round the corner is Bawdsey on the Deben.

The other side of the Deben is Felixstowe Ferry, then Felixstowe.

Felixstowe offers the Deben estuary, the cliff tops, the dip, jacobs ladder, cobbolds point, the fludgers, between the fludgers and the pier is snag town, the pier (closed but good each side due to sandbank), any where from pier to manor end but best bet from infront of Sunday market sight (surf shack cafe on stillts) to end of prom (manor), infront of manor caravan park, then manor car park (Eltons big bass caught here somewhere), the butts, Landguard beach, the stone pier then last buit not least the river orwell betwen stone pier and the viewing point but only on the flood cause you cant hold bottom except with big leads on small tides during the ebb.

Felixstowe can be very good or CRAP.

Doggies, dabs, bass, sole, whiting, codling, eels and pout being caught but very patchy.

Loads of marks but most best fished by locals, best bet for visitors between the cafe on beach (at end of a14, over roundabout, over traffic lights and you are at a small car park or right at traffic lights, 3rd left for manor and butts, 4th left for landguard and river).

Bait available from castaways or tackle up, tackle up being better of two.

A14 dock spur roundabout, straight across to town, 2nd left on small roundabout, over traffic lights, over rail bridge, 1st left signposted ask for Rob and tell then Kev Judd gaves you his name, he will swear and curse!!!!!!!!!!!

Tackle up 01394 274600 castaways 01394 278316

Tuesday night I took a wander as Felixstowe sea angling club have rover matches and had a chat with two Essex anglers, turns out its Steve Coppollo and his mate (cant remember name but number 8 in country for tornament casting with 271 yards!!!!!!) from anglers net!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now finishing work and going to take a look tonight but with 50 mph gusts cant see many braving the North sea howler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

A friend & I were members of the Orforness Angling Club for 5 years running. We paid for a key to barrier & drove along the Orford spit. We fished all along the stretch from the 1st radar mast to the 'car park' & next gate. We did not find one place along there better than the rest. Are there any anglers out there that held/still hold keys to the gate who can share their knowledge of this stretch?

Hi Rudd,

You met me with Steve, tuesday and yep i have come 8th at the UKSF is competition but my PB is 271 yds, on that day i acheived 251yds.

Good to meet you m8,

Terry

KIR ;0)

Hi Rudd,

You met me with Steve, tuesday and yep i have come 8th at the UKSF is competition but my PB is 271 yds, on that day i acheived 251yds.

Good to meet you m8,

Terry

Sorry Tel, could not remember your name, had a massive headache!!!!!!!!!!

Last night I took a walk along the stretch you were fishing.

One brave angler battling the wind - he had three nice codling and a few doggies all in the first two hours of the flood. After that he had the occasional whiting, several sizeable.

RUDD

Anyone got any feedback for fishing down at Felixstowe recently ?

I'm planning a mid week trip down there, probably to Languard.

Thanks

Nick

Doggies, Dabs, Whiting, Pout, Bass, Eels, codling, sole all being caught.

Manor end fishing best.

Lug or rag for most species.

Mackeral or squid taking doggies.

RUDD

Many thanks Rudd for the update

I was fancying Wednesday late afternoon / early evening, I think high tide is about 5pm. As long as the rain forecast does not get any worse !

Its a while since I fished off the beach so i'm really looking forward to it.

Nick

Hi, I Had a great night Saturday, started around low tide (7pm ish) just in front of the hotel (aldeburgh) and got stuck into some whiteing fairly quickly, nothing too large though... pretty much the same all night, nothing too big although guys further towards the tower picked up a nice dogfish and a couple of nice codling..

Blowing the tilly up around 8pm and the torch breaking around 8.30 made for an entertaining night with no light...

A couple of hours on the ebb saw some bouncing rods but alas not rods, wasnt holding the bottom and had lots of crossed lines, any advise ? does it normally run really hard at that position on the beach as the guys further down didnt seem to suffer...

Hit some snags around 150 yards left of the hotel for future reference...

All in all great time and enjoyed my first real beach session, found a wishbone was producing the best results and two down's didnt have much joy ! Any thoughts ??

cheers

tom