Oooh! Fishing Tackle!

Gaz51

What persuades you as an angler to buy certain fishing tackle?

Is it website forum recommendation, friend recommendation? Perhaps you get tempted from fishing magazine articles, browsing the tackle shop. You may be the kind that just goes out and buys what they think they need or you may have seen the tackle in use out and about.

I personally tend to research major tackle purchases, I ask questions about it on forums, other anglers who own the tackle, compare prices on web pages and magazines then try the "touchy feely" approach in a tackle shop.

I have to say, I have bought some bad buys in the past though. :wacko:

If it feels right, irrespective of who makes it, then I might be tempted! I rarely on what suits other folk. Tackle and underpants have one thing in common, what suits one person does not nescessarily suit another.

If a piece of tackle or a brand of bait is named in an angling article by a well known angler it must be essential to have to catch fish so we should all rush out to buy it or be doomed to catch nothing surely........

Elton when are we going to get a tongue in cheek smilie?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If its endorsed by a 'well known' angler I refuse to buy it on principle! The Maver 'Des Taylor' pike rod was a cracker, but who would want to be seen as a D.T. groupy? Imagine carp fishing with a Rex Hunt carp rod.

A pike rod endorsed by Des Taylor? a RexHunt carp rod? not for me Peter Im not that easily lead. Now exactly what type of underwear do you favour and is it available from Fox preferabley in Real tree?

i 'd like to think that i buy items of tackle out of a need to either replace a item or fill a gap in my tackle or fishing activities but maybe its deeper than that maybe these people are having a more subliminal effect on me,

rex_me_des.sized.jpg

as i seem to be turning into a clone or something,and i seem to have quite a few john wilson items of tackle

and dosn't he have a beard and a preverance for silly hats also !

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Chav,you have realy worried me now! cant post a picture sadly (main PC down) but I too have several fully bearded/felt hat shots of myself..........maybe all of us great anglers are what remains of a secret wartime Nazi experiment to clone a race of Master fishermen,our frozen embryos having been taken to the four corners of the earth (erm and Bewdly of course) by fleeing Third reich scientists? Would also acount for the dissproportionately high number of angling guides in South America to?

The truth must be out there.....er some where any way!

I've just bought a felt hat of the floppy variety. I didnt want to, but Lee persuaded me that I wouldnt catch barbel without one. I started to grow a beard but when I looked in the mirror and saw George Michael's dad staring back, I shaved it off.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I started to grow a beard but when I looked in the mirror and saw George Michael's dad staring back, I shaved it off.

Thank God for that Gerry! I couldnt imagine what scandal it would have caused Anglers Net if you had had to stop at a public convieniance on the way to Timsbury......

:o

Where possible, I choose gear on how it feels. There's a limit to how much you can ascertain by wiggling a rod about in a tackle shop, but you can get some idea of the action, weight and balance. Reels are easier, you can tell a lot more about how nice they will be to use just by handling them.

Mail order stuff I research on the web and (cautiously) through magazine reviews.