Handing Ourselves On A Platter To The Anti's Becuase Of Stupidity Like This.

frodo_uk

I have seen many birds trapped by line, including a domestic pigeon tangled in a two inch piece of my own line which I had thrown away thinking I had cut it small enough. Now I cut it into tiny bits.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from the lost line aspect of our sport, I would question why anglers insist on continuing to fish when there are feeding birds nosing around their swims.

Yes I take your point Peter, but on the occasion I mentioned, it was beginning to get dark, and the bird came out of the bankside after I had been fishing for quite a while. I certainly wouldn't have started fishing if the birds had been around then :( .

This reminds me, some time ago I caught, landed and released unharmed a seagull which took my floating crust. Quite a struggle playing a big bird like that up in the sky!! :rolleyes: It just goes to show, however carefull you are sh#t happens :(

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

Apart from the lost line aspect of our sport, I would question why anglers insist on continuing to fish when there are feeding birds nosing around their swims.

There are some waters where the waterfowl will approach the angler. If you move, they'll follow you.

on a note about cutting line up,i was once involved in a incident simular to the one in the telegraph in that i was fishing a pond on which a swan

was tangled up in line (it wasn't mine)a local resident had called rspca

who sent out a rescue bloke and i help to capture it and he cut the line

off the swan ,it turned out that it was very old line off the bottom off the pond which was shallow someone must off puuled for a break and left a long bit of line,we talked while he sorted out the swan and he said that

he see's loads of line left laying around on banks and topaths in huge coils when it would be much better if people cut their lines into 6-10inch

length's which are too short to tangle around birds but long enough for

different birds to use in nest building and mice and voles ect to line their

homes with so thats what i've done mostly since i take home the hooks and weights and any knotted loops

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

in the same session last week i found about 50 meters of braid lying along the bank and caught a pike with a trace and about a yard of 8lb mono trailing from its throat. i collected all the braid and burnt it on the bank and managed thankfully to unhook someone elses trace left in the pike. as mentioned we have all left tackle in snags etc but there is no excuse for leaving dangerous and any other litter, discarded lines etc or fishing in a way that harms fish or anyother wildlife!

i have had 2 bite offs, the first i put down to bad luck, the second made me realise the value of an uptrace, which i always use these days.

I read the news story and the first post but not all of the replys, so forgive me if this has already been said.

I honestly dont think there is enough "information" or "guidence" for anglers on fish care and general do's and donts.

Many of us take it for granted that fish are to be handled with wet hands, and to take all litter, line, hooks etc away from the bankside, whether it belongs to us or not etc.

However, I do think that these rules need to be hammered home and then stuck to. Both in fishery rules, and in all angling publications be they weeklys, monthlys or internet publications. I cant remember the last time I read a general angling article to find the writter pushing these rules, maybe I glossed over them or maybe they just were not there to begin with.

Accidents happen, line and hooks get lost and lazy arsed muppets will always be just that, but more can be done all round.

Just my ramblings :)

What makes this even worst is that it was shown at the end of the East Midlands early evening news when they review a few of the local papers. Not a pretty sight when it's blown up on a TV screen.

Ferret's right about the drinks can plastic, I've rescued a hedgehog that had got it's head stuck in one of holes and was dragging the whole thing around.

Ferret's right about the drinks can plastic, I've rescued a hedgehog that had got it's head stuck in one of holes and was dragging the whole thing around.

Not the brightest of critters, hedgehogs. The first night I moved into this house, I was sat in the garden having a well-earned beer, and heard a rustling. It was a hedgehog, and it was trying to eat a panscrub I'd used to clean some bricks up. Must have been the cobweb and woodlouse flavour. I took it off the hedgehog and chucked it to the other end of the patio. Five minutes later, it had found it again and was having a good chomp. Had to bin it in the end just to stop the privet-pig munching it.

Guest Brumagem Phil

Phil.......sorry mate, but I dont accept your statement that there is not enough guidance for people.

Theres guidance everywhere, not to mention the bit of grey matter between peoples ears which suggests you dont "lob" 10 lb carp back into a lake that has margins less than 6 inches deep in water (yep seen it myself and felt disgusted by it)...or leave yards of discarded 15 lb line lying around the bank (i've burned reels of it collected in my mere 18 months of angling)..or that you dont chuck 24 empty carling cans in the ditch behind the pool.

Nobody taught me a thing about fishing......I either looked for information myself or I acted on the basis of the grey cells between my ears..its not really rocket science is it????

Far too many morons handle fishing rods if you ask me....and thats just based on my short experiences, those who have been fishing for decades must be even more disgusted in what they often see. Its not about education.........there is a small but significant minority who simply dont give a s**t about anyone or anything bar themselves.

Edited by Brumagem Phil