Garmin 160 Blue Fishfinder

barramundi

I don't run a kayak but I do run a 14 foot boat with Garmin 120 and 240 sounders. They are waterproof to the extent that they'll take a soaking either from rain, or the stuff that we float around in. They probably wouldnt take immersion for any more than the suggested 30 minutes before water under pressure eventually starts to get through the seals. The problem asking Garmin a question relating to kayaks is that if the guy that you're talking too has a vision of kayaks as being these flimsy olympic craft that are constantly rolling over in white water then the answer will be a defensive 'no'

Last saturday we used a portable Garmin 120 on Chew reservoir in the middle of the worse wind and driving rain that you can imagine. Moving the boat meant having to bail out the spray that we took on board and all over the sounder. It just needed a wipe over when we finished for the day. No ill effect at all.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I'd give it a try Barramundi, like Argyll says the Garmin boys have probably never heard of kayak fishing, so have no idea how we kit out our kayaks or how little we tend to tip in... unless your name is Darnsarf :D

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I've had my Garmin 80 underwater for a couple of mintues with no affect, were the plug fits into the back I have put a finger of a rubber glove to cover it all,

as they say so far so good :D

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

I'd give it a try Barramundi, like Argyll says the Garmin boys have probably never heard of kayak fishing, so have no idea how we kit out our kayaks or how little we tend to tip in... unless your name is Darnsarf :D

SM :)

It was a field (water) test............Honest! ;)

Please tell me it still works :(

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I have just fitted a Garmin 80 to the yak.

The size was what swung it for me as it will sit in the front cupholder on the prowler on a base that I have made for it. This just gives me an extra couple of inches of room to swing my legs around than if I'd fitted it where the tackle box is meant to fit.

I'm quite happy that when I've got the transducer fitted properly it will be fine and according to the paperwork with it, they are waterproof.

What methods does everyone use for fixing the transducer in the hull to shoot thru? My first attempt with the vaseline method let me down even though it looked good beforehand. I don't fancy the epoxy route (Too final) and am leaning towards sitting it on a bed of silicon, but which one and how?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

I used epoxy at first to glue the transducer into the hull of my prowler but within a week it broke out ,due to the yak flexing and the epoxy not.I tried a few other methods but have found that using the wood glue sticks in a hot glue gun works a treat.This is instant and still stays fairly flexible.So far it has worked for 6 months of hard use.If you needed to remove it then it can just be peeled off.

Dan