RIVERS OR COMMERCIALS?

adsangling

Middle avon floods excepting, has got a brilliant stock of dace that for some reason the mass cormorant roach kill on the same river have ignored. apparently.

So if it's silver fish you want, there's your answer, while the cormorants where eating all of the roach, the dace just hid, amazing.

Two cormorants called Cheech and Chong did all that damage whilst searching for a decent Roach!

• Like 1

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I'd much rather be on a river. Joined a new club in November for some small stream fishing, only managed to get out there twice and it's been over the banks ever since. I'm off to fish a commercial with a friend on Sunday, the first time I'll of been to one in a good few years. We'll be fishing for carp, although there's also meant to be some nice perch in there. Unfortunately I didn't get back from work in time to get some maggots and worms from the tackle shop. Maybe I'll try and pluck up the courage to collect some tomorrow evening.

"the countryside must be experienced in its worst weather to appreciate the shades of its beauty"

Rivers all the way. When I was a yoof, it was lakes and still waters all the way, but we didn't have 'commercials' or at least I wasn't aware of any. Our club had a lake that had everything from orfe to trout, but that was the only one.

I agree though, I am happy to fish a lake and do so for trout on occasion and I suppose some of these might be called trout commercials - I prefer Blagdon about once or twice a year - but nothing over stocked with rainbows. Similarly, a tench lake with lilies and a mixed fishery with a natural, or near natural head of fish and I would be most happy to fish it. The rivers would need to be out of bounds though, they always take first place in my opinion, dace, trout, grayling, chub, perch, roach - whatever. Chub are a favourite of mine, simply because I seem happiest when fishing for them. I've given up on barbel, I seem unable to catch them.

I am happy that the commercials are busier, although my angling club is struggling a bit as a result. We mainly have rivers.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Sadly i have stopped fishing rivers about two years ago. The combination of really low flows in summer, cormorants and predation et al as well as annoying dog walkers and the like mean that they are just not worth the hassel any more. I don't like most commercials as its like shooting rats in a barrel. I now only like syndicate or some club lakes with a more natural feel. I feel very sad about the state of river fishing near me any way.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Sadly i have stopped fishing rivers about two years ago. The combination of really low flows in summer, cormorants and predation et al as well as annoying dog walkers and the like mean that they are just not worth the hassel any more.

I find just the opposite (with the exception of the flows). Must be a regional thing. Chub, dace trout, perch, pike, grayling

Isn't. Fill yer boots. I would add barbel, but I can't catch them so I've given up fishing for them. Everyone else catches plenty of them.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."