Alien Terror

Leon Roskilly

See http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/sto...1641466,00.html

"In a scenario reminiscent of HG Wells's War of the Worlds, a seemingly unstoppable predator is ravaging the riverbeds of the British Isles, leaving a trail of environmental destruction"

"An opportunistic feeder, it can eat almost anything organic, including its own species - or any stray fingers and toes it finds in its path"

"'What's been introduced,' said Smurfit, 'is a highly evolved creature that can adapt to a new environment very quickly. We continuously have to find new ways to fight it.'

'We're concerned not only because it carries a plague....................."

'They're on the increase. They can live for months out of water and I can see a time when people will be beating them away from their back door with a stick,' she said. 'If nothing is done, they may become as common as rats in some areas.'

They taste good too :)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Nuke the bastards!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Such a pest, that you still need yet another licence to catch them. On some rivers the EA wil not issue you a licence if they consider a trap a danger to passing boats and on my club waters where they are a constant pain in the bum, they are sacrosanct, cant be touched.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Such a pest, that you still need yet another licence to catch them. On some rivers the EA wil not issue you a licence if they consider a trap a danger to passing boats and on my club waters where they are a constant pain in the bum, they are sacrosanct, cant be touched.

hi gerry, it seems ridiculous that there is such a problem with these things, and yet the authorities make it so difficult for people to help reduce the numbers of them!?!

we are allowed to take 30 of them on every day per angler.

its quite comon for anglers to bung a trap in when they start fishing, and to fire up a bbq and scoff them as the day goes on!

:) if everybody took a couple of dozen everytime they fished it would surely help.

best wishes dave.

hi gerry, it seems ridiculous that there is such a problem with these things, and yet the authorities make it so difficult for people to help reduce the numbers of them!?!

we are allowed to take 30 of them on every day per angler.

its quite comon for anglers to bung a trap in when they start fishing, and to fire up a bbq and scoff them as the day goes on!

:) if everybody took a couple of dozen everytime they fished it would surely help.

best wishes dave.

Dave, the EA are concerned about traps catching the native species of crayfish, but since the signals have more or less wiped out the natives in all but a few areas, there's little point. Been fishing all of my life and have yet to see a native crayfish other than in the aquarium at London Zoo. Its time for a reappraisal of the law. Yet another example of 'only in the UK......'

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

One of the reasons for not allowing anglers to take them is that they are renowned as escapologists, and can live months out of water.

So an angler taking some away for a free feed might find thatsome had escaped, either on the journey, or from the garden shed.

Off to start a new colony somewhere else :(

Rather than take the risk of having them accidentally introduced, perhaps to an area where native crays still exist, the EA prefer to go for a much more precautionary approach.

You may be personally confident that your means of transporting and storing them away from site are perfectly adequate, but it only takes one in a thousand anglers having an accident to do a lot of damage.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Seems to me that the "Official" attitude to signal crays is the same as it is for cormorants and Otters....what they really mean is that they(The EA) are very happy to take our licence money but will do sod all to look after the fishing.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic