First day out for a spell

Tigger

Who knows eh!

I was merely referring to the Collins "Birds" Guide which gave a 91cm length (or 2.98 ft).

I remember sitting on a frosty morning on the banks of the swale last year, ponds were frozen. There was about a dozen of these huge black creatures that suddenly appeared from the depths, they spanned the width of the river, saw me and took off quickly. Now stocks on the swale of silverfish are already concerningly low (its made up largely of bigger chub, barbel and pike - the ones that cormorants dont eat). So to see this sight was just awful.......

There must be something to be done to them. Wonder if the recent changes in law would make any difference??

Its ok jimmyh the otters and Eastern European's will soon be round to cull off all them bigger chub and barbel so the silvers can blossom again.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

There must be something to be done to them. Wonder if the recent changes in law would make any difference??

No change in the law as such, merely the procedures for licensing their culling and the associated conditions. Cormorants remain a protected species.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I got on the bank at 4 oclock this afternoon so had enough time to catch a net full icon_cool.gif ....but it wasn't to be icon_e_sad.gif . I trotted the float down the river over and over slowing it down, altering the depth, the shotting pattern etc etc but for some reason unknown to me the fish weren't obliging....bu88er ! One swim that has nearly always produced fish for me from the first trott through did produce a chub of about a pound and a half and then further upstream another banker swim not as prolific as the former one also produced a fish probably about 3lb. At least it wasn't a blank but the river did feel sparse of fish. Times like this is when I always wonder if there has been a bit of an unknown disaster, like a pollution incident that has gone through undercover of the higher water. Hopefully not and i'm just making up silly reasons why I didn't catch much icon_rolleyes.gif .

feb28chub.jpg

Tigger,

I was interested because we don't use maggots much. I simply couldn't picture that much "stuff" going on a #14 hook. I noticed you do use the British form of a Texas Whip Hook Set.

Phone

For that matter I don't believe I own any size #14 hooks. A really small hook is a #6 or #8.

Tigger,

I was interested because we don't use maggots much. I simply couldn't picture that much "stuff" going on a #14 hook. I noticed you do use the British form of a Texas Whip Hook Set.

Phone

For that matter I don't believe I own any size #14 hooks. A really small hook is a #6 or #8.

Phone,

try using maggots more often my friend, you'll empty the river / lake :).

Texas whip hook set...is that the method use to attatch the hook to the line ? The hook is a spade end, I just prefer the way the spade end hooks hang on the line and they don't cut the line when it's under pressure as is often said...well not if they're tied on correctly.

Fourteens are quite small'ish but once set in the fishes mouth they don't come out easily and will land quite large fish. I use barbed hooks as I find they keep the maggots on the hook, are more secure in the fishes mouth and also don't get thrown by the fish as so often happens with barbless. Saying that they're only very small barbs and leave no sign of ever being in the fishes mouth once removed (if they're removed correctly).

One thing I have found is if I use a 14's hook stuffed with 12 maggots very small dace will engulf the lot but if I up the hook size to a 12's using the same amount of maggots the same little fish can't get them into their mouths as easy. I think it must be that on the 14's the bait will squash down in the fishes mouth but with the 12's hook the wider hook won't fit into their mouths the same...if you get my meaning.

Edited by Tigger

Tigger,

Texas Whip Hook Set is what I use carp fishing. It is when you tip your chair over backwards with the bite. There is a variation where you run 30 feet up the bank but I think that is a bit common for a professional carper.

Spade end hooks are very uncommon (except fly fishers). In fact, most American anglers will tell you a spade end hook is a hook where the point is a flat cutting edge shaped like a spade.

My maggot story has been told. When setting up a "kids fishin" I like to start with several willow poles (15ft ish) stuck in the bank. Canned dog food (cheapest) with an abundant number of holes poked in the can (30 - 50). Hang the cans 3 - 4 days in advance of the event. After 3 days the fly maggots drop into the water under the cans and the kids catch "pan fish" by the dozens. Bait is a very small piece of worm on a #6 or #8 hook.

The problem with maggots is they are usually not species specific enough for US waters. Few dink fish on purpose.

Phone

When the sun came out today I couldn't resisit a couple of hours trottin' on the river :). Everyone I speak to all repeat the same thing "chub don't feed in bright sunshine" but I always find the opposite and today was no exception. I had over 20 fish in that bright sunshine :), all between 2 and 3lb so no monsters but blimey they really pulled back hard for their size, the sunshine must have charged them up ! Funny really as nearly all my best chub and barbel fishing (and any other fishing) has been when the sky is clear and the sun is high and bright.

mar1chub2.jpg

mar1chub3.jpg

mar1chub.jpg

mar1chub5.jpg

mar1chub4.jpg

Nice one Ian, I'm off out to blank in the rain. :thumbs:

I want a full report on the days trotting in the rain when you get back in lol.

Good luck Brian.....I reckon you'll catch ok m8 :).