Getting Rid Of Old Maggots

The Flying Tench

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freeze 'em is good.

Don't feed the birds, they often carry bacteria that will kill them.

As a last resort, flush 'em down the loo!

Tight Lines - leon

#Really is that true? about feeding them to the birds... I feed all my surplus casters to the blackbirds..... come to think of it, I havn't seen them for ages, oh God forgive me.

Ive tried flushing them down the loo, but they keep coming back, I dont have a pond so what can I do :unsure:

I've never tried them myself, but I've noticed quite a few references to using dead maggots esp in the winter, as hookbait and in loose feed or groundbait. I'd be grateful if anyone can give any more info, as like Flying Tench, we all end up with dead maggots at some time or another :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dead maggots are an excellent bait, sometimes outfishing live ones. They don't crawl away into cover but remain more visible. In fact, you can often get away with less dead maggots as feed as a result, and they don't break up groundbait by wriggling. Of course, you may want fish to root the maggots out to keep them in the swim longer, in which case live maggots or a mixture are a better bet.

I kill them by freezing them for 48 hours. Any less and they sometimes seem dead but may revive when they warm up! You can also add liquid flavouring into the bag before you freeze them. I've usually got several pints in the freezer at any time, and find them especially useful for when I haven't got time to drive to the tackle shop before going fishing.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Guest Brumagem Phil

Another excellent way to dispose of old maggots is to put them through the letter box of your local chinese takeaway..........and dont forget to phone the environmental health from a payphone on the way home.

Phil (who is feeling particularly devilish today!)

Edited by Brumagem Phil

I keep an old blender these days for old baits. Any old fish, worms, maggots, groundbait...whatever....it goes into the blender to be used as an additive for groundmixes.

Even if a bait has lost it's appeal appearance-wise it will still have plenty of attractive qualities when used as a flavouring.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Put them in a bag and tie it to a helium filled balloon.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.