Angling On Terrestrial Tv

Julian

We’ve had an enquiry from a visitor to Anglers Net and I figured you guys could help! There are plenty of angling programmes on satellite TV. However, as far as I’m aware there are no currently running or proposed programmes scheduled on Terrestrial.

If somebody were to produce a new angling programme for Terrestrial, what would you say are the missing elements from what is currently on offer via satellite and what could be done to improve on the current types of angling productions?

Over to you lot..!

Cheers, Julian.

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd like to see a new version of "GO FISHING" but this time with some additional presenters ,two main presenters and guest presenters,firstly it would have to be john wilson (most recognisable angler) then probably martin bowler with guest presenters who will cover types of fishing like steve ringer (match) etc occasionally and the program would cover the whole of Great Britain & uk and will concentrate on catching a verity of species whilst giving some tuition on the methods used.in a similar format as before with two segments to each show or an extended special editions.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Hi Julian

as you know i had an on-line petition set up to get angling back on "normal" telly.

I ended up with 37 pages of signatures and handed the lot over to a representative of BBC 2 after being told that she was more likley to pay attention than the head of BBC 1 (he who is rumoured to be an anti angler).

I thought it had all been for nought but a few weeks ago i read in one or two papers that there's talk of angling programs coming back to BBC 2...i really do hope its true.

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

I do know that Hugh Miles, the maker of A passion for angling, is at present making a new series with Martin bowler, along the same lines, which he hopes to get shown on BBC2 as the original was, just hope that it is as good as the original.

He was also making another one with Chris Yates, Caught in time, the diaries of Chris Yates, bought a copy of the first one off him, on dvd some 2 or 3 years ago. called Summer days, showed that they were making some others, but seen no sign of them.

The most common critisism you hear of existing programmes is that they dont go in to enough technical detail eg showing the rig and how its made up.I suppose this is due to the "need" for the program to apeal to non anglers as well? Well I would like to see this "need" dropped and the programmes targeted purely at anglers with all the "boring" tech details included.After all they dont make golf/darts/bowls programes etc to "apeal to a wider audience" do they?

I agree with Chavender on the basic format.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Although most anglers would probably prefer the sort of format that Chavender mentioned, unfortunately its veiwing figures that count and the terestrial channels are more likely to sway towards the "passion for angling" type format.

In my opinion though this was probably one of the best fishing programs ever on television, there was something hypnotic and captivating about it, maybe something to do with the production, I'm sure it was also one of the most expensive to make too. it aso showed angling in a very good light, as a noble art almost.

My personal preference however would be for a more technical type programme, though any fishing on television is better than none.

oi oi if you can remember they said thre would be no room on t.v. for snooker it would be boring & no one would watch so then they thought keep people happy we would do one half hour a week called POT BLACK there i rest my case plenty on now weather you like it or not. so if they gave fishing a chance half hour a week especily with modern technology your not going to watch them blank so nexed time anyone gets a petition up REMEMBER HOW SNOOKER started

oh yes there used to be some aussi bloke on ch 4 many moon's ago (thank your mother for the rabbit's)

:D:D:D

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

Just a thought -

How about a "Passion For Angling" type program without the technical details that non-anglers might find dull, and then a website showing rigs used/bait details/etc. that anglers could use?

Surely this would give the best of both worlds?

b

I agree with you b! Tech stuff online, then people can even print out rig advice and tips keep them.

The programme needs to appeal to Anglers and non anglers alike. My missus for example loves to watch the great rod race but doen't like fishing much at all.

They therefore need to make sure the personalities are right. Perhaps there could be a 5 minute guest slot each week where a celebrity tries fishing for the first time, being taught by an expert (or by another celebrity who fishes - you could have Dave Seaman teaching Ian Wright, Nick Hancock teaching Jonathon Ross or Chris Tarrant teaching somebody etc etc). That would be interesting to see, and the general public would enjoy it too.

www.myspace.com/boozlebear