An Alliance Between Anglers And Comercials2

Jaffa

Guest Feels like Winter to me

Rather than pm me this shite and the one before it why dont you post it here. What is it im about to recieve??? I can hardly wait.

I can take your stupidity; I can amuse myself at your threats.

You will find out very soon who I am, you will then realise you have known me for years and what a **** you have been.

For what you are about to receive you have truly asked for.

As for your lie’s and pathetic attempts to try and put blame on to me on the forum?

Edited by Feels like Winter to me

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi John,

I agree with you about the importance of the big stuff, but am not sure what the weight that "qualifies" is?

You talk about 20lb and 30 lb fish, but given I've never caught one of those, and that weights and measures perception tends to be very tied to the purpose of weighing them how does that translate into something everyone reading this understands?

I've seen thousands of boxes of "cod" ( used to be classified A1 or E1 according to quality, and "sprags" (e2/A2), and after that, pretty much everything was called codling.

Trouble is, I have not a clue what the weights of those fish would have been. Can you remember the classification and which was which? I remember the A1 and A2"s being big fish that used to overhang an 8 st fishbox, and that they had a lot of weight for their length.

Where does a 20lb/30lb fish fit into the classification given on a market?

Any idea ?

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I suppose I have become accustomed to angling in the way we have done it over the years. Anglers tend to talk in individual fish weights, commercials tend to talk in boxes, units or kits. Thanks to Binatone for the local sizes.

In my commercial fishing days, a cod was a gutted fish of a stone or above in weight. Once you got to only five fish to the 8-stone boxes, the fish that would start to overhang these boxes would be the 25 to 30lbs variety.

The size that seems to be missing nowadays is the 3-fish-to-a-box variety.

In my particular field of angling, it is difficult for me to determine a general rule on fish size or scarcity, as I am the only one doing this particular job and I have no one to consult or compare notes with. I do confer occasionally with the wreck netters, but the two jobs are very different and some of the wrecks which I consider good angling wrecks they consider poor netting wrecks, and vice versa. Also, although some would dispute it, offshore angling is a quite different job to inshore angling.

The whole job of commercial fishing is very difficult to quantify. Different types of commercial fishing (which, with all due respect, many on here do not understand) have different effects on the job. But the results you get will tend to influence your opinion on the state of the job. Also, the same is true of different types of angling. I spent many winters working long-lines on rough ground and getting good-sized cod that the high-powered trawlers with rock-hoppers, working the same ground at the same time, could not catch in any quantity. Jobs also must change; pre-1988 I spent a few years trawling both as skipper and crew, but never saw anything like the amounts of undersized codlings that are reported on this forum today - and that, of course, was with a far smaller legal-sized mesh than is worked today.

In my present job of offshore angling, taking into consideration that I work the best bits of ground and many wrecks that no one else works, I will probably

get a rosier view of the job than most.

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

Sorry, but after some discussion, I'm closing this thread.

Winter, the 'Ignore' option should be working, I'll see if someone can look into it however (not able to do so myself).... In the meantime, (this goes for Binotone too) please remember not to air your grievances on here :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.