An Alliance Between Anglers And Comercials2

Jaffa

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AUTUMN@ love to have a meet up and eeerm how can i put it! CHEW THE FAT! only if u dont start the gay stuff!

apart from that be good to have a face to face debate with the commercials! think we goto sit down and maybe dispell some myths and chew over a heated debate! hopfully we will become wiser and a solution may be struck!

tho cant see it comms fish for cash we fish for fun! cant see a common ground where we arnt going to end up worse! but time will tell!

thats the problem with renegotiation dosnt always leave u on top.

problem dusnt lie with them it lies with the goverment alowing the cowboys out ther!

BANNING ALL UK BASED COMMERCIALS! GOVERMENT GIVING THEM PAY OUTS! AND THE ROYAL NAVY PROTECTING THE COAST FROM FORIEGN AND NATIVE BOATS!

cor an ideal world! every ones a winner!

JUST OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD! LOL

Edited by geffaz

Unfortunatly the majority on this forum do not know what has really gone on in the north sea over the last 25 years or so.

It has been a free for all with practically no restrictions until the last couple of years that is the fault of succesive goverments,now if a farmer keeps ploughing a field over and over again without puttting anything back he going to go up shitstreet, unfortunatly we are now in that position the lads have to make a living and they earn every penny but no one is willing to take any blame what so ever for the possition we are in now.i was talking to one of the deck hands last night i was actually having a pint with him he has worked on keel boats since he left school and that was 30years ago i know him very well and he said and i have said on this forum previous what they chucked back over the side this summer during herring spawning time was mad thousands upon thousands if undersized codling (this is being denide by certain bodies on this forum) what he said was if these fish were left to grow it would benefit evrybody the majority of the lads who work the boats now know this practice is threatening there future, defra need to give there head a sheck and some sort of compensation package given to these guys during spawning time and close the fisherie down to stop the slaughter of these small codling it makes good sence for everybodys sake including commercial lads and anglers alike we all know cod stocks arent what they were but it needs a helping hand to recover .

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest @AUTUMN@

Nice to know you get the truth now and again BC. I wonder if you would get the same story from his boss or from him if his boss was present, next time you see him perhaps you could ask what he thinks his boss would tell you. Certain quarters here will flatly deny what you say and state they know best, but I'm pretty certain wurzel will agree as he has always said discards are too high up here and to my knowledge he is the only one on this forum with a bit of knowledge of the situation having actually fished these parts. Despite his idea the sea is full of fish he does make the odd bit of sense from time to time.

I just wonder how your going to form an alliance with a group of eople who deny any knowledge of the truth and are so keen to bury thier heads in the sand.

My starter would be the subject of big fish and their importance ,or otherwise , to the future. I reckon they must be few and far between now. If not, where are they?

Hi Chris,

A good starter. I believe big fish play a very important part in the proliferation of their species. I can only speak for what we catch, which is mostly cod, in the area we work. When you say “big fish”, I assume you are talking about fish in excess of 20 lbs. The really big cod of 30 lbs upwards are very scarce. That is understandable, as I would assume that they only grow that big when conditions are perfect for them. It would seem (in my experience over the last six years) that the proportion of big to small cod increases the further east we go. We also fish much better in shallow water than we do in the deep. Assuming the shallow water is warmer, this tends to go against the ‘warmer water, fewer cod’ theory. So that is something I am unable to rationalise.

Although I have no proof, with regard to the catches of angling boats, I suspect the proportions of cod below 30lbs – big to small - are the same as always. What are your views, Chris?

JB

Edited by John and Michele

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

Guest binatone
Nice to know you get the truth now and again BC. I wonder if you would get the same story from his boss or from him if his boss was present, next time you see him perhaps you could ask what he thinks his boss would tell you. Certain quarters here will flatly deny what you say and state they know best, but I'm pretty certain wurzel will agree as he has always said discards are too high up here and to my knowledge he is the only one on this forum with a bit of knowledge of the situation having actually fished these parts. Despite his idea the sea is full of fish he does make the odd bit of sense from time to time.

I just wonder how your going to form an alliance with a group of eople who deny any knowledge of the truth and are so keen to bury thier heads in the sand.

Just give it a rest for 1 day can ya.

Hi Chris,

A good starter. I believe big fish play a very important part in the proliferation of their species. I can only speak for what we catch, which is mostly cod, in the area we work. When you say “big fish”, I assume you are talking about fish in excess of 20 lbs. The really big cod of 30 lbs upwards are very scarce. That is understandable, as I would assume that they only grow that big when conditions are perfect for them. It would seem (in my experience over the last six years) that the proportion of big to small cod increases the further east we go. We also fish much better in shallow water than we do in the deep. Assuming the shallow water is warmer, this tends to go against the ‘warmer water, fewer cod’ theory. So that is something I am unable to rationalise.

Although I have no proof, with regard to the catches of angling boats, I suspect the proportions of cod below 30lbs – big to small - are the same as always. What are your views, Chris?

JB

Hi John,

I agree with you about the importance of the big stuff, but am not sure what the weight that "qualifies" is?

You talk about 20lb and 30 lb fish, but given I've never caught one of those, and that weights and measures perception tends to be very tied to the purpose of weighing them how does that translate into something everyone reading this understands?

I've seen thousands of boxes of "cod" ( used to be classified A1 or E1 according to quality, and "sprags" (e2/A2), and after that, pretty much everything was called codling.

Trouble is, I have not a clue what the weights of those fish would have been. Can you remember the classification and which was which? I remember the A1 and A2"s being big fish that used to overhang an 8 st fishbox, and that they had a lot of weight for their length.

Where does a 20lb/30lb fish fit into the classification given on a market?

Any idea ?

Cheers,

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Guest Feels like Winter to me

Binatone you are a [EDITED].

[Winter, any more of that and you will get a warning - John S]

Warn me if you wish but if that prcik sends me any more pathetic unwanted private messages My words will be harsher. Why doesnt the ignore user thing work??? I dont want his pathetic messages, he's a ****ing tosspot.

Edited by Feels like Winter to me

Guest binatone
Hi John,

I agree with you about the importance of the big stuff, but am not sure what the weight that "qualifies" is?

You talk about 20lb and 30 lb fish, but given I've never caught one of those, and that weights and measures perception tends to be very tied to the purpose of weighing them how does that translate into something everyone reading this understands?

I've seen thousands of boxes of "cod" ( used to be classified A1 or E1 according to quality, and "sprags" (e2/A2), and after that, pretty much everything was called codling.

Trouble is, I have not a clue what the weights of those fish would have been. Can you remember the classification and which was which? I remember the A1 and A2"s being big fish that used to overhang an 8 st fishbox, and that they had a lot of weight for their length.

Where does a 20lb/30lb fish fit into the classification given on a market?

Any idea ?

Chris it’s all terminology when it comes to sorting. I sort our codlings as follows.

Tid codling

Small “”

Best small

Medium

Best

Sprag

Best sprag

Cod.

The cod that you are talking about A1 class would be 25lb plus.

Cheers,

Chris

Cheers for that Binatone. That's more categories than i remember :D Way back when it used to be 5 sizes for cod at Aberdeen and Peterhead.

How have you found the proportion of cod and sprag to codling over the last few years? Will an 80ft boat fishing the central north sea still have half a dozen or so boxes of cod/sprag, among the haddock bulk?

Off topic but "Tid", isn't that welsh originally?

Chris.

Edited by Jaffa

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net