Rod Holder Question?

shad

Hi All

I am sorting out my prowler 13 non angler for mainly SWFF ,I am thinking about mounting 2 scotty fly rod holders ,one on each of the flats where the flush mounts go on the angler edition.I feel that this would be better than mounting them up front,keeping rods out the way while paddeling and I can have a spare set up with different line.Also handy for trolling to find Mackeral etc.

Only problem would be which fixings to use?I dont fancy using screws and cant reach that far back to use nuts n bolts.The only option is to remove the screw hatch and access from there,anyone done this?any other opinions would be great.

Cheers Colin

Shad

Just an idea. I have just put the basic rigging on mine and used rivets from Ocean Kayak.

They are expensive for what they are but designed specifically for the job. Tried other marine rivets, they weren't that successful.

You have to order them with a rigging loop (include 4 rivets = £4) but for £8 its done.

Try Bournemouth Canoes thats where I got mine from. 01202 625256

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Shad

Just an idea. I have just put the basic rigging on mine and used rivets from Ocean Kayak.

They are expensive for what they are but designed specifically for the job. Tried other marine rivets, they weren't that successful.

You have to order them with a rigging loop (include 4 rivets = £4) but for £8 its done.

Try Bournemouth Canoes thats where I got mine from. 01202 625256

Hiya Shad...I got my rivets and loops from Crazy water in Highcliff near Christchurch.They were £2 for 4 rivetts and 2 loops.Just goes to show you how much bigger companies are making on small rigging stuff ;)

The only things I cant get anywhere are the Hooks you use for rigging.

You will find the holes on the scotty rod holders are way too big for rivetts.I used the nut and bolts to secure mine

Zzippy

Edited by Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

Shad an alternative is to use Well Nuts, these are rubber inserts that have a nut fitted inside, ideal for positions where you are unable to reach the back to hold a bolt, I used them when fitting the flush mounts on the Prowler Project on AnglersAfloat.

If you want a really tidy look, have you seen the round scotty bases they fit the flat area on the Prowler perfectly, here is one in situ, scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/Prowler_Sco...ripleMount.html

Going back to Well Nuts, I've not managed to find a supplier of marine grade ones in the UK yet, but they are available through

http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/

in the US and will dispatch to the UK.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I bought 50 rivets form the USA kayaking site for £20 and that included postage

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Hi All.

Re your fittings - Rivets - etc.

I use these folks at Hook 1, Karen is so helpfull, and your order will arrive quite quickly.

http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/catalog/index.htm

You are much better off getting the right stuff than trying to make do, it dosnt cost that much more, and considering what you could loose

:rolleyes:

Just a thought :)

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Shad,

don't take the screw hatch out! BUT the net will come out if you are careful without breaking the plastic ring. Then you have access through the hatch and should be able to convolute yourself far enough that with the help of someone else use conventional nyloc nuts and machine screws. Just try and reach first, if you can reach you are in business and can get straight on with the job. If you can't you are no worse off than you were before and the Well Nuts are the best option - I can understand Starvin Mavin using well nuts first go - his arms wouldn't reach the seat!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo