Voip (voice Over Ip)

Newt

I was doing some research into available service and costs for VoIP. Since everyone we will be visiting has a PC (else we wouldn't 'know' them from this forum) and most have broadband, I thought it might make more sense than trying for a calling card or similar.

Net2Phone seems to be a well established company.

Confusing issues with their rates though. According to their web site Rate Calculator

US calling UK = $0.49 per minute

UK calling US = $0.05 per minute.

Anyone have direct experience with VoIP calls?

How does the $0.05 (about £0.0288) rate compare to what you use now if you ever call the US?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why pay when you can get it for free? :huh::huh:

Skype is a little program for making free calls over the internet to anyone else who also has Skype. It’s free and easy to download and use, and works with most computers

If you want their SkypeOut service to call normal phones (folks who don't have Skype) you gotta pay.

Net2Phone also offers free calls to PCs if the others also have their service.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Any catches to Skype?

I'd thought of using it to call my brother in the States; he reckons there must be a catch (yes, OK everyone, the catch is he has to speak to me, settle down now!)

I've downloaded the software, bought the "I work in a call centre thing" but haven't got any further!

I'm using Skype for Skype to Skype calls (free), using my PC speakers and mic (you can also do conference calls with up to 5 other people).

As Brenda sometimes monopolises the landline when I need to call, and because calls to Mobiles are quite cheap I've started to use the paid Skype Out service (It's like having two BT lines). I'm thinking that call quality maybe better using a USB hand/headset though (I'm on AOL's slowest broadband connection).

For anyone who needs to make phone calls regularly to some other part of the world, Skype allows you to set up a Skype account that acts as a 'local number' there. So you can call landlines/mobiles there at local rates, and people there can also call you at local rates (in fact with a 'local' Skype number, there's no reason that people will know that you are in a different part of the world!)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I got a VOIP phone a few months ago and use it along with Skype (SkypeOut) .... is fantastic for calling over to the US, and for national calls. The costs are extremely cheap ... is great, and if you have someone with a VOIP phone at other end ... its free.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

I use a voip USB connected phone and SkypeOut to call landlines all over the world with no bother. I've just downloaded their latest upgrade which works great, and it saves me a bomb!

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/