Yet More Pike!

Peter Waller

Dear Peter,

Praise the Lord in heaven for I was fortunate enough not to stumble across this particular television progamme. But if I had my mistake, I would have ran to the corner of my living room and knocked myself unconscious on purpose.

Anyway, whats wrong with using a very large lure for pike? Any galvanised dustbin with hooks attached will do the trick. Even better if you have a bloke inside banging the side with a lump of wood whilst the dustbin lure is being reeled in. They're called "clash bang wallopers" and are doing the bizo on Knipton this year.

Regards,

Lee.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the lures on sale in tackle shops are utterly shameful. The hooks are well on their way to becoming gaffs, only with huge, prominent barbs that must cause immense damage. I think they have put pike fishing back forty years and should be banned by any club that actively supports pike conservation.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Peter, I gotta argue with the above opinion just a bit.

Given that on a good day's lure outing I will probably cast my lure(s) over 200 times and that I'm are unlikely to have more than 20 takes even on a good day, I have to favor a rod that fits the lure. Easier to concentrate on the fishing if the rig feels good and I always feel I'm probably going to get the extra fish or two if my concentration is good and the lure action is proper.

I'll stick with a rod that is fast enough to suit the lure and only use a through action if I'm fishing large crankbaits and there I'm likely to be using an e-glass blank anyway.

Only 1 in 10, you wait till you come to England!! And only 200 casts! We are going to work you really hard then.

Shhhhh, don't let on, a gentle wind-up was my intention. That said, I don't much like a rod that is overly tippy.

If I pick up a nice fish, rare, I like the curve to go into the butt, but I do prefer a crisp tip action.

I have always prefered a slightly more through action than most modern rods have. I appreciate that a faster taper might be better for the lures, but a through action might be better for the fish :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You know me Peter. If I can't speed troll my 15" baits with 3 8/0 trebs at at least 8mph with my drag locked down tight I'm not interested. A good session is counted by the number of lower jaws and eyeballs littering the bottom of the boat at the end of the day.

:blink:

Tim

Some of the lures on sale in tackle shops are utterly shameful. The hooks are well on their way to becoming gaffs, only with huge, prominent barbs that must cause immense damage. I think they have put pike fishing back forty years and should be banned by any club that actively supports pike conservation.

I agree, and the one that really surprises me is Fox. Have you seen their big bucktail lures?

http://www.foxint.com/catalogues-products....ue=3&section=49

Afraid the picture does the hook size no justice :(

You are joking, Tim, aren't you?

I have had big lures come back into the boat with teeth embedded in them, but no separated jaws, yet.

Speed trolling, haa ha! A few years ago I motored through a swim just vacated by a well known angler who had been there for hours. I was not going 8 m.p.h. but most probably four or five. What I didn't realize was that I had a Ryobi Mugger just skipping along the surface. The result was a pike of over 30 pounds!

Here's a picture of the lure (attached).

Try:-

http://www.anglinguk.net/swiftys-product-p...ugs__4198_.html

Edited by Peter Waller

This buisness of tippy or not for lure rods is an interesting one.As Peter quite rightly says the more medium action rods are much better for playing a fish.Trouble is that the faster tip action rods not only set the hook better but in my mind allow you to impart far more action to a lure,both things needed before you play the fish! Tims comment re different experiences causing people to form different opinions answers this one as the soft plastic shads that Peter finds so effective on his waters dont really need as much working as say a jerk bait.

On the subject of Ryobi/Masterline,well I think most know my veiws on that lump of crap they call a reel but I must admit that many years ago I did have a lure rod from them I was quite fond of.Cant remember what it was called but it came with two butts.One straight and one cranked. Build quality was abismal and I needed to extend the length of the cranked butt by 6" but it was a cracking medium lure rod.

Yes they did have a knack of filling the gaps shame they did it with rubbish.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

When I first started using spinnerbaits from the US, I was worried about the hooks, as they were mush larger than I was used too. Now, I look at those same lures and find something quite interesting. OK, they had big, large gape hooks on them, but the hooks were of a much finer guage wire than a spinnerbait has now (especially the Fox items)

I don't recall ever openining a hook on one of my old spinnerbaits, I took Lomond fish up to 15lbs on a "Barry's Buzzer" which went bonkers. So why do spinnerbaits now come with a meat hook?

One of my all-time favourite lures, is a reasonably new lure. Its the Toothy Critter rubber thingy, with a wibbly wobbly tail in Pink and White (I believe there is a more technical term for it, it's got a shad like body, but a...wibbly wobby tail!). I'm having difficulty finding them now, because a lot of shops have succumed to the Fox "monopoly" (Cheap wholesale prices?). I'd be tempted to try the Fox equivalent to the Toothy Critter (marketed by Ryobi), but I don't like the hooks.

More power to finer hooks and the skill of the angler (when playing a fish) I say.

And why do all lure hooks have to be galvanised?

Am I going off on a rant here? 'Cos if I am, I'll go on about Carp and Barbel hooks!!!

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org