Particals

Fat boy

Been looking for a venue to fish next year and have been surffing da web and most

places in england seam to have banned all particales.

So why do they say this then go on and allow hemp, casters, corn, tares etc. which are good baits but are still particles are they not?

I know it is cos of fish welfear but i have been preparing particales for near on 15 years ( im only 24) and have never had a problem as there is loads of info on how to propare them properly out there, is it a case of the lazy are spoilling it for the rest of us Or is it a case of fishery owners trying to make a quick buck by making us buy it from them?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fat Boy,

Bit of both I think, There's still a sizable number of anglers out there that do not prepare particles properly & they do spoil it for the rest.

There is a reasonable argument for fishery owners to ban particles on the grounds of welfare of the fish, but of course it does leave the field open for a bit of profiteering by suppling the only bait allowed to be used.

Interesting that you class Casters as a particle, I've always viewed particles as seeds, but I can see your reasoning. Does anyone else class Casters, maggots etc as particles

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Particles are often banned on waters that attract the less experienced angler. Few syndicates seem to ban them though, probably as the members tend to be more experienced.

At Wingham I don't ban particles, just nuts. It's nothing to do with poor preparation, that wouldn't be a problem with my members. Rather it's because nuts seem to adversely affect the growth of the carp. When they're full of nuts they aren't eating food that puts weight on them.

Particles are underused these days. The Carp Lake at Wingham contains nothing but carp and pike, but nearly all the members use boilies nearly all the time. Being a very rich water it's the perfect place to use particles!

When I fished it I had the most success on maggots - as Lidoman suggested. All my biggest fish came on bunches of maggots, on a size 6 hook tied direct to 15lb mono with no hair rig!

Interestingly, sweetcorn got me a smaller stamp of carp, probably because a bed of it was more visible. Live maggots buried themselves and so were found more by the smell of the additives I used. The bigger carp seemed to use smell more than the shoals of smaller carp I was trying to remove. The latter relied more on sight. Perhaps a tip worth remembering for other similar waters.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve

Do you include Tigers in that, because as everyone knows The Tiger nut is not a nut it is a tuber of the plant cyperus sculentus lativum, (Chufa Sedge, Yellow Nutsedge, Tigernut Sedge, Earthalmond).

They have excellent nutritional qualities with a fat composition similar to olive oil and a rich mineral content, especially phosphorus and potassium. Tiger nuts are also gluten and cholesterol free, and have a very low sodium content so would be beneficial to the welfare of your fish.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Yes, although I didn't know that they weren't a nut!

In fact the problem first came to light when a lot of tigers went into the Carp lake at Wingham. The fish stopped growing. On Bruno Broughton's advice I banned nuts. The fish immediately started to put on weight again. Possibly coincidence, but I doubt it.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I wouldn't know how effective they are because I have never used them as a bait; but could it be that the fish become preoccupied with them affecting their overall diet and subsequently growth rates.

They do make an excellent drink though called Horchata de Chufas, try it next time you are in Spain, I'm sure Capitan Cojones will second my recommendation.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I wouldn't know how effective they are because I have never used them as a bait; but could it be that the fish become preoccupied with them affecting their overall diet and subsequently growth rates.

It could be - there were an awful lot going in! Mind you, there would have to be because, as you know, Wingham is very rich in natural food.

It could be - there were an awful lot going in! Mind you, there would have to be because, as you know, Wingham is very rich in natural food.

Always confused the hell out of me this point of excessive baiting with nuts causing the Carp to lose weight. Don't get me wrong no way am I doubting you Steve, but why does it happen?

Why on earth do they get preoccupied on a foodstuff that makes them lose weight, there must be some benefit to them to be so attractive.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.