Particals

Fat boy

I don't know Peter, but I'd be very interested to find out. I imagine Bruno's away abroad on business as he's not posting at present. But I'm sure he'll have some ideas. Anyone else?

Situations where theory and practice disagree intrigue me. One of them must be wrong, and in my experience it's usually theory!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why on earth do they get preoccupied on a foodstuff that makes them lose weight, there must be some benefit to them to be so attractive.
Attraction often does not equal beneficial.

Think of all the human critters that become preoccupied with the various addictive items that are not at all healthy. This could well be the fishy equivalent.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Think of all the human critters that become preoccupied with the various addictive items that are not at all healthy. This could well be the fishy equivalent.

yes interesting theory newt, you may well be right the fish just love the taste of them but they are not nutritionally satisfying......kind of like carp burgers!!!!! :P

Fair point Newt, But human critter fast foods are usually highly nutritious, just completely overloaded with attractants which has us eating more & more!!

End result...big fat human critters...not little skinny human critters :)

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Fair point Newt, But human critter fast foods are usually highly nutritious, just completely overloaded with attractants which has us eating more & more!!

End result...big fat human critters...not little skinny human critters :)

poor analogy i should have used the analogy of a smoker, alcoholic or drug user......drug addict probably being more apt. How many overweight heroin addicts do you see....not many they are usually malnourished and unhealthy. Surely there must certain natural substances that may be addictive to fish or more specifically carp.....as for human fast foods being highly nutritious. They provide us with proteins, fats and carbohydrates but usually in the wrong proportions and form. saturated fats and refined sugars, neither of which are nutritionally sound.

I dont fish with nuts/tigers (except on the hair) because of an experiance i had a few years ago, i was at a water that had a lot of tigers going in. I was up a tree (as ya do) watching a big mirror and i saw it crap out hole tigers, it then turned round and re'eat them and just sat there. About an hour later it did it again.

Having seen 7 different carp do this that day even though there was plenty of other bait avalable, it put a serios dout in my mind of how good tigers are for carp?

I dont fish with nuts/tigers (except on the hair) because of an experiance i had a few years ago, i was at a water that had a lot of tigers going in. I was up a tree (as ya do) watching a big mirror and i saw it crap out hole tigers, it then turned round and re'eat them and just sat there. About an hour later it did it again.

Having seen 7 different carp do this that day even though there was plenty of other bait avalable, it put a serios dout in my mind of how good tigers are for carp?

Many plant eating animals do this Rabbits Horses etc, chewing the cud in ruminants is just a form of this behaviour, just because it is abhorrent to us does not mean that its bad for the animals welfare.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

poor analogy i should have used the analogy of a smoker, alcoholic or drug user......drug addict probably being more apt. How many overweight heroin addicts do you see....not many they are usually malnourished and unhealthy. Surely there must certain natural substances that may be addictive to fish or more specifically carp.....as for human fast foods being highly nutritious. They provide us with proteins, fats and carbohydrates but usually in the wrong proportions and form. saturated fats and refined sugars, neither of which are nutritionally sound.

Now there's an interesting thought, narcotic nuts!! thats a great explanation & even better, it fits :lol::lol:

Mind I didn't say fast food was balanced, far from it.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

My understanding of the subject is that it’s a kind of double whammy with many nuts and some particles. Firstly they can be low in nutritional value, therefore a carp would need to eat a great deal to get any kind of benefit in terms of weight gain, and secondly, the digestion process slows as the fish tries to gain more nutrients before excretion. The ultimate example of this is when nuts are passed whole – they’ve not got much benefit out of eating those, have they? Thus they have to eat them time and time again to try and break them down and get some value out of them.

Thus the HNV principle comes into effect, give a fish a bait that in can breakdown (digest) really easily and that it can get a high nutritional benefit from in terms of vitamins, proteins, etc, and it should put weight on quicker as it does not need to eat as much to gain weight. Also, it should eat more as it digests and excretes the bait quicker.

That said, particles and nuts can be some of the most devastating baits available to catch carp. I don’t profess to know why (Bruno!?) but I guess it’s something to do with the attraction qualities, no matter how bad the food is for them – a bit like humans and chocolate, perhaps?

I catch 98% of my summer fish over particles nowadays, not tons of the stuff, mind. My usual approach is to fish just a handful of soaked and blended (quicker to digest) particle mix with a worm or grain of corn over the top as hookbait. As a stalking approach it’s is quite simply deadly – not found anything to beat it yet!

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!