Is Sea Angling A Dying Sport?

JB

Leon, thats one theory but its far from certain atm as I understand it. Other fishery biologists believe its an overabundance of stripers that is causing the problem. The RSA 's don't bother with small details like that though, blame the commercial menhaden fleet regardless, and set off on a media campaign against the evil commercials. I am less than enthusiatic at the thought of this happening in the UK one day.

Morning jaffa and happy xmas, your not bad! but your not in leons league, :D keep practicing though

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im confused...Why would manchester united need cod quota?

Exacly! and why should fishermen be forced to buy it. now perhaps you will start to see our side of the story.

Leon

you never fail to amaze me with the information you dig up,

Tightlines for the new year.

How has a situation arisen where a football club is able to purchase cod quota to sell on to highest bidder for a profit?

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

How has a situation arisen where a football club is able to purchase cod quota to sell on to highest bidder for a profit?

Fishermen are given quota based on their previous track record.

They are then free to fish for it, or to pass it onto someone else, or to sell it to the highest bidder, or deposit it at the bank as security for a loan etc

And so something given out for free, allowing exploitation of a publicly owned resource for profit, now becomes a tradeable asset and a market develops.

(Much the same as with oil exploration licences, radio frequency licences, 3G phone licences etc, except that these aren't given out free!)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Exacly! and why should fishermen be forced to buy it. now perhaps you will start to see our side of the story

At a rough guess it was a fisherman that sold them the quotes in the first place.

Now if no one purchased them, which is quite likely due to a lack of cod they would be worthless and they would be well stuffed.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Who funds the other biologists though Jaffa??? The commercials by any chance?

Who cares as long as the science is robust and other scientists can peer review and question it. The problem comes with what special interest groups then do with it eg even the article Leon links to states that a cap has been put on the menhaden fishery only as a precaution until they can discover whats going on. Yet Leon states overfishing is the cause! ;) No doubt the Menhaden fishers will be claiming they are definately not the cause! :D

If you actually want what appears a balanced overview, try this link :

http://www.bayjournal.com/article.cfm?article=2356

" Menhaden stock perplexes fish managers

Too few of the forage fish or too many rockfish?"

Which btw includes comments by a charter skipper who USED to strongly support the RSA measures on Striped Bass.

Chris.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Guest Feels like Winter to me
Who cares as long as the science is robust and other scientists can peer review and question it. The problem comes with what special interest groups then do with it eg even the article Leon links to states that a cap has been put on the menhaden fishery only as a precaution until they can discover whats going on. Yet Leon states overfishing is the cause! ;) No doubt the Menhaden fishers will be claiming they are definately not the cause! :D

If you actually want what appears a balanced overview, try this link :

http://www.bayjournal.com/article.cfm?article=2356

" Menhaden stock perplexes fish managers

Too few of the forage fish or too many rockfish?"

Which btw includes comments by a charter skipper who USED to strongly support the RSA measures on Striped Bass.

Chris.

I are jaffa. Lets look at an extreme hypothetical example of what I'm talking about.

The makers of regal king size fund some research into ???? heart disease for example.

What would you expect thier findings to say?

Guest Feels like Winter to me
OK, apologies to Big Cod. Of course I do realise the two of you are much too busy to discuss someone like me.

However, over the months, you must admit you have certainly invested a lot of forum time in trying to establish the identity of Binatone. From recent comments made, I thought I might have made it onto the line-up of suspects again.

I have always been comfortable with the fact that people know who I am when I write on the forum. I am absolutely certain of who I am – and who I am NOT.

So, I guess what I should have said is………

“Am I to take it from your recent comments that you have decided I am Binatone? So... which one of us is Clark Kent, and which is Superman? On second thoughts, I wear glasses. So I guess Binatone is the one who wears his underpants on the outside of his tights.

I'm not sure how Binatone will feel about the latest mis-identification! Just another to add to the lengthy list, I guess. He's probably wondering how the pantomime season is going.”

JB

The above answer applied to your post before you edited it to add the last offensive paragraph. This answer applies to your edited version, where you called me a loser. NOBODY CALLS ME A LOSER! Let's take this right away from the forum. If you want to call me a loser, do it to my face. YOU NAME THE PLACE, YOU NAME THE TIME.

JOHN BRENNAN

Are now you show your true colours Mr Brennan. Didnt take long for your second personality to come out the cupboard. Wouldn't surprise me if you were behind Binatones threats and those nasty Pms your customer REPUS sent me. As Ive said to all those people I have never threatened you,But I am not intimidated by your crap. I have forwared you my personnal details you know where to find me whenever you wish. My style of posting will not be altered by neither you or the other losers you invent or egg on.

Edited by Feels like Winter to me

Hello Ken

At a rough guess it was a fisherman that sold them the quotes in the first place.

Now if no one purchased them, which is quite likely due to a lack of cod they would be worthless and they would be well stuffed.

Not necersserily, originaly all the boats were given quota, boats that never saw a cod, lobster fishermen, prawn fishermen even a salmon drift fisherman or a herring fisherman got cod quota, it was not enough to do any thing with you could not earn enough with it, so the cod boats had to buy quota from those who did not need it. but not only fishermen bought quota any body could and did.

there are a few place were there is not a lack of cod, but as you say if cod was to completely disippear then the quota would be worthless.

I fish to live and live to fish.

You see that? That's me drawing a line underneath the, let's call it, 'rivalry' between certain parties on this board.

Winter, John and Michele and anyone else involved - hate to bring names into it, as it's been happening with other people on other threads lately, but in this instance I need to request that you either chill out, avoid each other, or take the personal/business argument sides of your posting to email, phone, solicitors or whatever.

For the record, so this doesn't drag on, Binatone and John & Michele have very different IP addresses. If they're the same person, they're quite good at it!

This thread, like many others, has been a fantastic discussion. Where else can you get trawler fishermen, anglers and charter boat skippers talking openly and honestly about fish stocks, their consrvation and the future of fishing and angling?

Like the thousands of other people who read these forums, myself and the volunteer moderators aren't aware of what goes on behind the scenes, what pesonal differences people may have, what business differences, etc., and have to take each thread that we read at face value. Also, we don't read every thread. We're anglers and read what interests us, the same as you. Therefore, we might not even know that person X called person Y a name on another thread 10 minutes ago.

I don't have the time, or see the need, to make this a drawn out debate about what my 'policy' is, what the 'law' is or anything like that - they're all too grey and boring and we all have better things to do.

Suffice to say, I'd rather be doing better things tonight, but I do appreciate that board members' feelings and business interests operate 365 days a year, which is why I've just spent 2 hours sorting certain things out.

This time, I haven't sought legal advice....can you imagine their rates on Christmas Eve? :)

I'd love to see you lot all kiss and make up, go for hand-in-hand walks along the beach and live happily ever after, but I'm a realist. Throw a load of people together and some won't get on.

All I ask is that you consider whether your posts should be aired publicly, or whether they should be sent privately, or not at all.

Lecture over. Apparently, the lazy, useless git that is Father Christmas doesn't really turn up, and my 2-year old is expecting a pile of tat underneath the tree when she wakes up tomorrow.

Merry Christmas and tight lines for 2006,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE