Is Sea Angling A Dying Sport?

JB

plan is to put Michele and myself on a similar latitude to your brother.

JB

Now i can certainly understand that john thats the most sensible idea ive ever heard on this forum and a blo*dy good luck to you and michele ;)

Where did I say there were less fish in the sea????

That quote is your conclusion not mine, your just making up things as you go along to try and support your theory that angling is on the decline, when it clearly is not.

Take a look at Sea Fishing & Sea Angling Online Magazine, go to South Wales and look at the number of meets being arranged, then look at other areas and your trying to tell me angling is on the way out LOL

The anti brigade must be watching all this negative talk on here and wondering if they even have to bother nailing the lid down.

Ok ken i will stop assuming what you think, sorry about that but if i ask you a straight question would you be so kind to give me a straight answer back? if so the question is this, are you siding with the opinions of wurzel and binatone when they say there is plenty of fish in the sea? yes or no.............

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest binatone
Now i can certainly understand that john thats the most sensible idea ive ever heard on this forum and a blo*dy good luck to you and michele ;)

Ok ken i will stop assuming what you think, sorry about that but if i ask you a straight question would you be so kind to give me a straight answer back? if so the question is this, are you siding with the opinions of wurzel and binatone when they say there is plenty of fish in the sea? yes or no.............

Stavey old mate how are you doing, hope you have got that rod out the garage?

I have never said there is (how your statement reads) tons of fish in the sea.

But what I have said or try to say is with the fishing fleet being the size that it is today the restrictions that they have to fish under, then there should be ample fish to keep the commercial fisherman and the recreational fisherman reasonable happy.

Like I have said before, am happy with what I catch to make a living and am happy with what I catch recreationally.

Would always like to catch more at both, but considering all the hassle that we go through to catch it commercially and what you have to remember stavey is, we cannot put our boats away in the garage till the weather gets better or the fishing improves. Not realistically anyway.

The prices on the market have not been anything to get excited about this year and the fishing has not been great. But wee made a descent profit and will be there again next year.

I did nothing wrong, broke no laws had to pay no fines and I love my job as much at the end of the year as I did at the beginning. Now if you cannot accept that then there’s not much I can do for you. Hoping that the weather is ok over the Christmas period as I cannot Waite to get my rod out, Sit in me little boat, look out over the sea and say to myself just what I said to myself last year “you lucky bastard”. And if I have a decent days fishing???????

are you siding with the opinions of wurzel and binatone when they say there is plenty of fish in the sea? yes or no.............

No.

However that was not the gist of this thread, the question I was answering was did I think RSA was in decline.

No.

I will ask you a straight question now.

Have you had a look at the site I mentioned????

If not it is worth a visit because it will show you a very different tale to what we hear on here.

No one is boasting thousands of fish, no one is boasting record breakers, but everyone is enjoying fishing, and most of the time they still catch.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

You are indeed a lucky bas*ard binatone, you are lucky to the cost to others and im glad you realize and appreciate it, yes the rods are still and staying packed away until late spring when catching f all is a little more palatable weather wise anyhow.

I work two shifts a day one very early and the other late afternoon to mid evening sometimes longer, in the middle of the day i catch up on a bit of shut eye i have missed, i seldom get a day off and when i do im buggered if i am going to waste one this time of the year fishing when there is absolutely bugger all about apart from the odd freak cod like maidstone mikes.

It was not always like this as everyone knows! now its time to try and do something about it, anglers may fail to make any difference with all our campaigning in the long run and you and wurzel and every commercial fisherman english irish scot welsh french spanish etc will carry on with still not a thought to any future for fish stocks! until everything comes to a grinding halt and that will be that, but atleast i will be a little happy with myself when i think back knowing i tryed to atleast do something about it, you wont! but i guess if your still alive you wont give a toss anyway..........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Guest binatone
You are indeed a lucky bas*ard binatone, you are lucky to the cost to others and im glad you realize and appreciate it, yes the rods are still and staying packed away until late spring when catching f all is a little more palatable weather wise anyhow.

I work two shifts a day one very early and the other late afternoon to mid evening sometimes longer, in the middle of the day i catch up on a bit of shut eye i have missed, i seldom get a day off and when i do im buggered if i am going to waste one this time of the year fishing when there is absolutely bugger all about apart from the odd freak cod like maidstone mikes.

It was not always like this as everyone knows! now its time to try and do something about it, anglers may fail to make any difference with all our campaigning in the long run and you and wurzel and every commercial fisherman english irish scot welsh french spanish etc will carry on with still not a thought to any future for fish stocks! until everything comes to a grinding halt and that will be that, but atleast i will be a little happy with myself when i think back knowing i tryed to atleast do something about it, you wont! but i guess if your still alive you wont give a toss anyway..........

Anybody that is in business must think about the future and the future of there business. We do. With as much passion as any angler does. If there is no commodity left there is no future in catching it.

I don’t know what effect, or come to that what methods that the commercial sector has on your fishing. Please excuse my ignorance. I believe (that from some your threads) you have a big problem with smaller boats using nets in your part of the world. Does this actually stop you from fishing or is it that they stop you from having a chance at catching fish i.e. they catch it before you have a chance of catching it? Or are you just against people catching fish commercially full stop?

Stavey!

You are indeed a lucky bas*ard binatone, you are lucky to the cost to others

you are hard work,

in the long run and you and wurzel and every commercial fisherman english irish scot welsh french spanish etc will carry on with still not a thought to any future for fish stocks

So whats the answer?

why would we not have any thought to any future fish stocks?

I fish to live and live to fish.

, but I think you should be asking that W ATKINSON bloke, he seams to of always been at the top of competitions lists for as long as I can remember. I wonder if he has to come on a forum and blame others for doing so well year after year. Or is it that he just gets on with it? Long live sea angling and all that take part in there hobby and long live the commercial fisherman and all that take part in making there living.

Binitone mate dont think he would probably come on this forum and discuss anything to do with trawling ,he hates the them and is always saying that they have destroyed the cod stocks, but you are right he does get on with he has no choice in the matter.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest Feels like Winter to me
Binitone mate dont think he would probably come on this forum and discuss anything to do with trawling ,he hates the them and is always saying that they have destroyed the cod stocks, but you are right he does get on with he has no choice in the matter.

Absolutely spot on BC and I know no man more vocal although when I listen to the lads the majority if not all dont have anything positive to say about the fishing industry on a local level. I wish I had a pound for every expletive my mate wacker uses about the fishing industry. Id be earning more than the honest dishonest president of the nffo. Just shows how far wide of the mark some folk can be BC, and wacker hasnt even got a big boat to take him to seas never before chartered.

Our friend of many names Obviously doesnt understand what a close knit group of individuals the local fishing club is. Not one person would knock that man for his catches. The amount of information he has about the local area is second to none along side his ability to locate fish when the going gets tough. One of the north easts best and known in every fishing club around these parts. If that man is anything to go by - John and his cohorts can be pretty certain that Sea angling is not a dieing sport

Edited by Feels like Winter to me

Is the sport of sea angling on the decline?

Certainly the numbers of people that come to Whitby to go sea angling on charter boats has drastically reduced over the last twenty years. I believe the same to be true of Bridlington and Hartlepool. I was speaking to a south coast charter skipper a month or so ago and he told me that although the situation is not as grave as it is in my general area, things are getting worse in his. I don’t know if there has been an increase in the number of small private boats but it certainly cannot be to the extent that the charter industry has declined.

Judging by what other skippers and my customers have said, most of the (very) many sea fishing clubs that used to charter boats have disbanded.

The rumour that pleasure boats will be unable to use commercial diesel in the future will not help matters. How this will affect charter boats, only time will tell.

A few on here sound disenchanted or disheartened with shore angling. Even Stavey has put his rods away for the winter.

I know very little about shore fishing numbers. Are the memberships of shore angling clubs dropping or increasing? Are the numbers entering shore angling competitions altering? Is the decline in boat angling commensurate with an increase in shore angling?

I would be interested in your views.

JB

:D I don't think sea angling is dieing, I think it's in hibernation, waiting to see what the future brings. Will it bring us more fish, better fish or no fish. I know anglers go fishing less often than they used to because there are less fish of a reasonable size to be caught. The match anglers still go as they just target what is there, pout, rockling etc. But the angler that fishes for pleasure or the pot is going less because he considers some times it's a waste of bait, petrol and effort. We used to field up to 20 anglers at a shore match, 6 is a good turnout now. The less people fish, less bait and tackle sold. Spend a couple of hundred to up grade your rod and reel, I'll wait and see if it improves, is the general concensus. You don't spend a lot of money upgrading unless you think it's worth it. The price of charter boats in my area has trebled in 17 years, I don't think anyones wages has. My club has gone from booking 3 boats a month for 11 months of the year to 1 boat for 9 months of the year, it just got too expensive for what we caught and members left. :rolleyes:

Edited by Norm B

There was a question about the fuel increase - I am taking a gamble here and assuming that what is reffered to is the DEROGATION we enjoy from the EU to not charge duty on red diesel for boating use. If this is withdrawn then we (UK) shall be forced to charge the same duty as on road diesel - however. The French and others have simply introduced a system similar to the VAT one over here.

PLEASURE boaters will have to pay the new duty rate, but commercials (and you will have to register and be eligible to the rebate) will simply claim the duty back at the end of each "month or quarter" the same as VAT. This will also apply to charter vessels, pleasure steamers and anyone else who legitimately uses their boat for business use. Not many people realise it, but this state of affairs also applies to petrol at the moment - if you have a petrol driven boat (Ian Burrett for example) on business use - the duty on the petrol is reclaimable - and it is retrospective for 3 years provided you have the receipts.

Ian, if you are not reclaiming your petrol duty, then you should be. If you have the receipts (even if they have been to the accountant) you can claim back the duty on your boat petrol for the past 3 years. You get the necessary forms from the Customs office and you only have to fill themin once to make you eligible. I can claim the duty on my boat petrol when I use it for photography for instance....

I should clarify the top bit - this is how I envisage it would work because that is how it works on the Continent and they want us to fall in line with them. (I think they should have adopted the £ as the single currency. And while they were at it they could learn to speak English and drive on the left!!)

The petrol thing exists now.

I hope that clears up my muddle above!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo