Barrow punctures

Jim Gibbinson

I've been given a tackle barrow for Christmas (Chub Transporter model). The tyre, as on most barrows, is pneumatic and therefore, I would imagine, subject to the risk of being punctured (given the nature of the terrain on which it will be used). Has anyone found a solution to the problem? Two possibles occur to me: carrying a spare wheel, and/or carrying some Tyreweld. I've heard of pneumatic tyres being filled with decorator's foam - anyone know anything about this? Anyway, any ideas from those who have encountered and solved the problem would be appreciated.

I've been given a tackle barrow for Christmas (Chub Transporter model). The tyre, as on most barrows, is pneumatic and therefore, I would imagine, subject to the risk of being punctured (given the nature of the terrain on which it will be used). Has anyone found a solution to the problem? Two possibles occur to me: carrying a spare wheel, and/or carrying some Tyreweld. I've heard of pneumatic tyres being filled with decorator's foam - anyone know anything about this? Anyway, any ideas from those who have encountered and solved the problem would be appreciated.

hi mate try this,

http://www.air-sealproducts.com/index.asp

i work in the landscaping industry and we have added this into all our tyres from wheel barrows to tractors. and have had some good results.

think i have seen it for sale in most agricultural shops like mole vally ect. think i have seen it in some large garden centres. if not most garden machinery shops should sale it.

Jim, I do have a chub transporter for three years now and it have been with me every time when I go carping/piking. I never had any problem with the pneumatic tyre what so ever.

Has anyone found a solution to the problem? Two possibles occur to me: carrying a spare wheel, and/or carrying some Tyreweld. I've heard of pneumatic tyres being filled with decorator's foam - anyone know anything about this? Anyway, any ideas from those who have encountered and solved the problem would be appreciated.

I did used to work on the Golf course where puncture was sometimes the main cause when moving all the time on their tractors, gang mowers, lawn wheels cutting mowers etc etc.

We did try using one time an expanding foam but that was disaster as we weren't too sure on how much to use but ending up putting too much and the tyre exploded.: o I am afraid there is no easy solution but I like the idea that Mr beef mention.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Mr Beef's Idea sounds great.

I use the chubb barrow and mine has punctured half a dozen times over the last few years. Usually you find out when you've loaded up the thing with gear at the end of the session and you've got a quarter mile trip back to the car :(

Rob.

a can of tyre weld in the car works but as your not rotating the wheel very much (so the foam isnt flung out towards the puncture ) it isnt very good on tubeless wheels within a tube its fine as it can only escape through the puncture ,i carry a can in the honda and its let me get home 50% of the time the rest of the punctures are to big because of the fraying action of the tube rubbing on the rim and abrasion punctures ,unnerving things punctures on bikes with tubes although the brake is on the tyre rotates on the rim ,had some heart stopping punctures!

theres a liguid punture "proofing" liquid available from pushbike shops ,i did try it with success but it seems to be very shortlived (just a couple of months) as it seems to seperate into liquid and the fibrouse bit that seals the hole ,it also clogs your valve up like no tomorrow :(

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

This is probably a daft question, but why don't barrow manufacturers equip their products with solid rubber tryes? Or am I missing the point?

Much more uncomfortable to push over uneven ground Jim, the shock absorbing qualities of pneumatic tyres make a huge difference.

I suppose they could try a soft compound solid tyre, but it would probably damage much easier.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

This is probably a daft question, but why don't barrow manufacturers equip their products with solid rubber tryes?

Jim, In my view I think it would cost the manufacture more money to make an solid rubber trye.

What they "really" want is if you get a puncture and you can't get it mended and they would hope that you have to order a new wheel from the manufacture to replace the puncture wheel.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Jim, one reason for using a pneumatic tyre on anything is that it gives a far lesser rolling resistance than a solid tyre. Another reason for using them is that they weigh less than a solid tyre.

Only on large or heavy vehicles/machinery you can actually get an air filled solid, not pneumatic though.

Sounds a bit strange I know but they are on occasion fitted to fork lift trucks, dependant on the application that the fork truck is going to be used in. The company I work for used to make fork lift trucks a few years ago and they were offered as an option.

Anyway I digress, the tyre weld that chesters mentions is a fairly good thing to carry in an emergency, they are only small and should see you back to your car from swims a fair old distance from the car. If after inflating the punctured wheel with it you spin the wheel as fast as you can for a few seconds it coat the inside and seal it (don't spin it by running along the bank as fast as you can :):rolleyes: ) sorry Jim my sense of humour.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"