Razors

Spur-Hound

they are usually sat a few inches below the sand

but when they squirt water out that means it is shooting down its burrow at hight speed by contracting its muscley foot

not sure how deep they go but sometimes u will dig 3ft deep and not get them

time to look for another after 2ft

macky

HD Might this place you refer to be not a million miles from cockenzie??? ; ) It was totaly wiped bye lads who arrived from distant lands

Ive been told thers a few at a beach near me(living in edinburgh has its advantages i soppose) But nt if you want 2 catch fish tho

Tight Lines

Shaun

shaun m8....loose lips sink ships

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

as macky says when you see them spurt they are on the move and they do go deep. Salting them is probably the easiest method look for their burrows little eye shaped holes, pour some table salt down and wait for them to pop up. You can do it with a strong salt solution but its definitely not as effective.When they poke up don't be in too much of a hurry to grab hold wait until the shell is almost fully out then grab hold and just exert a slight pull until the rest of the clam starts to move, if you pull too hard you will just break it.

Never tried it over here but caught loads up on PEI years back and I agree they do taste good.

Hi Spur-Hound I use razor on a regular basis for bream wrasse triggers red mullet and even the odd plaice. I have just had a fishing holiday for a week in Herm (luckily I live in Guernsey only 3 miles away) prior to the holiday I went over specifically to dig razor for my break. I find the best way is to look for the eye shaped holes and dig, you will soon learn which holes hold the larger razors, I leave anything less than 4". Occasionally they will be brave and stick their shells above the sand as said before you can grab them and pull them out of the sand, if you are quick you can pull them out with one swift movement but if they feel you you will have to tease them out or they will break off the main muscle which is the best bit. Once you have caught enough bait take them home and blanch them in boiling water till the shells open strip them out and freeze in bags (I freeze 20 per bag)and you will have a prime bait that is firm and not mushy, for casting long distances just put a few wraps of baiting elastic and they will stay on the hook. I hope that this has been some help.