Condoms and safe fishing?

Guest Silver Back

I went out yester day, first bad days cod fishing I'v had this season. That is bad in the sence of number and size of fish, no chang in the pleasent company, hot pies, apple tarts and a bucket full of tea :D

The weather was OK, decent tide, tried a normaly consistent mark out the front, Felixstowe Ledge way, 4 codling and a pout, and thats with seven rods out, KT looked like a 'porcupine'. Talking to other boats, all with similar stories, it apears that the fish haved moved off, some nice cod being caught around the towers, plus some good size roka. We were also plagued by tabacoo weed, havent had a serious problem with that for a couple of seasons.

Begs the question, Jan/Feb were traditionaly always dead months, not so in my book, the past 2 or 3 years. Have things reverted to natures norm??? :mellow: If so, are we in for a spring run :unsure:

Decent cod have been caught in the Towers area over the festive NY period, as well as roka, so can we expect the thornies to move onto the banks.

Back to normal, roka, then the sping run codling, smoothound and then tope, and some decent bass might be back in the river :unsure::o optomistic or what ;)

Pics removed, thought the post had run its course, ho hum

They need to be bigger than this, note the lage hooks we are now using, 6/0 Varivas Bigmouth, making gut hooks very rare, and we miss less bites. Also note the 'Gulp' re constetuted condom! other wise known as a rubber lug, Roddy has been having some sucsses with these recently . . . the worm, the worm!!!

:ph34r:

Edited by CJS2

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see fish being caught :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Hopefully all the rods don't start knocking at the same time. A new Nylon jumper knitted in seconds. :D

Sitting back, watching n waiting. I can feel the anticipation, here at home.

Good photos + report, keep them coming CJS2. B)

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

CJ, are you saying you are catching fish on GULP on it's own?

Roddy has tried it both ways, rubber crab and lug, work best with a squid tip, but he has caught on lug worm condoms alone, personaly still not fully convinced. One thing though, the crabs take it in the same way as normal bait. Comes back choped to bits some times. The pic is one of the times when it was on its own.

Just had a call, off out on me mated boat to the towers for the afternoon/evening, have the cod moved out there???? We shall see.

Edited by CJS2

FFS Stavey. If a bloke fishes with 2 rods on the beach and catches a codling is that commercial catching ? I reckon it equates to 4 fish from 8 rods ? We all know theres not as many fish in the sea and most of us accept the reasons for it, but don't knock a bloke who is just out there enjoying himself. Keep on enjoying yourself Cliff and keep on filing your reports.