Cod "doomed" due to climate change.

Jaffa

Guest binatone
A man with a rod and line will never do any damage to cod stocks we arent even a spec in the equasion more goes over the side in numbers than all the anglers in the uk catch each year.

That is probably why the icelandic goverment realize angling is no threat to cod stocks and so will angling which is primitive to trawling to continue when area are closed down. ;)

Ok big cod, you seam to of dodged the question on weather you would be prepared to make any contribution towards a fishery that you say needs protecting at all costs. Namely the fishing for cod when the herrings are spawning of Whitby.

Your dodge tactic is that a man with a rod and line is but a grain of sand compared with commercial boats.

I hate to presume but let’s just presume a bit on this one as know body seams to be prepared to give any figures on what commercial charter boats catch in a single year of Whitby.

Let’s say, 10 charter boats go to sea 100 days per year (on average) catch ten stone of fish per day, (again on average) per boat.

Is that not TEN THOUSAND STONE OF FISH per summer?

On your frequent strolls along the fish quay big cod, when if ever was the last time you saw anything like that in a single month landed on the market?

I don’t know about a grain of sand, looks to me like a small desert.

This is fish that has been caught for financial gain.

No fish, no anglers. No anglers, no charter boats.

I am not saying that charter boats catch all the fish, but what I am trying to put over is that they do need the fish to be there so they should try and work with commercials to try and find a solution to a problem that they say (big cod) is there, rather than going on how much angling is worth to the community compared with the commercial sector.

Or are we (trawler men and charter skippers) not all commercial fishermen anyway.

I apologise for only presuming the figures above, if they are way off the mark could somebody please enlighten me otherwise.

I have not taken into account the boats that go to sea from Whitby every day, without paying anglers onboard. But I can only presume that they do occasionally catch fish.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Binatone

Let’s say, 10 charter boats go to sea 100 days per year (on average) catch ten stone of fish per day, (again on average) per boat.

Is that not TEN THOUSAND STONE OF FISH per summer?

I thought it was a good post, and I would have thought the figures are not far out.

Anglers do not seem aware of the amounts of fish caught by them over all.

It seems they want to be involved in fisheries management only when it suits them, for instance take the BMP if the bass suddenly started to deplete due to the return of a mini ice age how many would agree to stop fishing for bass,it would be like the cod now they are all screaming for a total ban on commercial fishing but claim they have no impact on the stock, in this area they are the only impact on cod at the moment.

I fish to live and live to fish.

I wrote a letter to sea angler magazine about 7 or 8 years ago. There was a Cod ban on somewhere or other whereby no boat over 10 metres could land Cod, including charter boats. Sea Angler and all it's readers were up in arms. They all thought it was terrible that the ban should apply to charter boats. In my letter I said it was hypocritical to call for a ban on Cod fishing, then complain when charter boats are included in the ban. I won letter of the month and won some Gemini rigs!

If there is any ban, for conservation reasons, then I believe it should be a blanket ban on ALL fishing for that particular species. The only exception should be beach anglers.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

If there is any ban, for conservation reasons, then I believe it should be a blanket ban on ALL fishing for that particular species. The only exception should be beach anglers.

I actually believe that baning all fishing for a species, or in any area, is the ONLY WAY to restore stocks of fish. I would be prepared to put up with a ban after all I have taken out over the last 40 years.

Steve you have a point mate ,but what you are missing is why are we in the position we are now it is not through charter boats catching fish

its the hammer it has had over the years by trawling, 2 years ago in whitby harbour a pair team had to drag the net all the way to whitby harbour 12 miles because they couldnt handle the amount of fish in the codend there was that much fish in the codend approx 300 kit of small codling that is 3000stone and that figure came from one of the skippers own mouths.

The fish had been feeding on herring spawn and by the time they sorted the fish out they only got 40boxes of codling out of the 3000 stone a WASTE OF 2400 STONE OF SMALL CODLING the harbour was full of dead small codling it was the talk of the town so steve when you talk about charter boats doing any damage to cod stocks or anybody with rod and line get real mate.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Steve you have a point mate ,but what you are missing is why are we in the position we are now it is not through charter boats catching fish

its the hammer it has had over the years by trawling, 2 years ago in whitby harbour a pair team had to drag the net all the way to whitby harbour 12 miles because they couldnt handle the amount of fish in the codend there was that much fish in the codend approx 300 kit of small codling that is 3000stone and that figure came from one of the skippers own mouths.

The fish had been feeding on herring spawn and by the time they sorted the fish out they only got 40boxes of codling out of the 3000 stone a WASTE OF 2400 STONE OF SMALL CODLING the harbour was full of dead small codling it was the talk of the town so steve when you talk about charter boats doing any damage to cod stocks or anybody with rod and line get real mate.

Yes, I know what you are saying and you are right. But looking at who's to blame for the situation were in won't do much to make things better, apart from finding out why we're in this position to make sure we don't make the same mistakes again. But when we find a solution it's a matter of everyone doing what they have to do to put things right. Just banning those responsible won't achieve as much as a blanket ban. It might not be fair, but if we are truly concerned about the stocks and want to see them recover, we'll all have to do our bit.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Iwonder if binitone would like comment on this event. :blink:

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg