Carp in the Trent?

Bankside

there are a few carp lakes around that area, with fish up to 37lb (that's if it's still there and hasn't been nicked, the mangagement of that particular lake complex was terrible)

Around Newcastle there is really nothing at all, I'm a member of Durham and we have Brasside that is a good all round fishery with carp to around 25lb, and I'm talking to a syndicate at the minute but thats still a fair way from where I live. It gets a bit long in the tooth doing 600 mile round trips for a 3 day stint, so this year I've booked four French trips and am going to give the rivers ago.

Thanks for all the help

Bankside

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you looked at the Tursdale syndicate they have the water opposite Ferryhill AC, some big fish in the syndicate water. Also the Tees is throwing up a fair few big carp up as well, mostly on the free stretch's

cheers Brian I'll check it out!!

Bankside

lived in Nottingham for a while and heard stories of the trent carp and read the stories in the press. the biggest to my knowledge was a ghost common of a whopping 49lb!!!!!!!!! This was caught from behind the attenborough gravel pits I think but not 100% sure.

i know someone who caught that ghostie it was from a very very very private strech of the river... i've seen photos but he is not aloud to tell any one the location all i kno is its in between 2 locks and the fish are basically stuck in ther...try spots around newark we had carp up to 36 from ther plus them barbel things give good sport in between proper fish....u got any other rivers in mind?

not many people target them specifically, most are after those barbel wotsits,

but they may as well be carp fishing with their bivvies and buzzers.

Jeepster,

tut,tut.

I am a Barbel basher and so are quite a few of the people I fish with and you will never see any of us with bivvies and bite alarms. In fact I cannot remember seeing any bivvies and alarms on any of the of rivers I fish and I am out an awful lot. I am not saying it does not happen, but I have not seen it.

Btw I am not having a dig just putting you right on what I know.

Paul

you're not one of the many many barbel fishermen i used to see on the trent week in, week out then seph, with 4 rods out, all with wireless alarms, sitting in their bivvies waiting? i'm also not having a dig, just putting you right on what i know :)

i've had many so many peaceful evenings barbel fishing ruined by the scream of alarms that i stopped going in the end. certain stretches on the trent were like the showroom of a carp convention.

so hopefully you'll see, it wasn't a dig at barbel bashers per se (of which i am one myself more often than i'd like to admit) more a dig at a certain type of angler who seemed to come from nowhere on the trent a few years ago

you're not one of the many many barbel fishermen i used to see on the trent week in, week out then seph, with 4 rods out, all with wireless alarms, sitting in their bivvies waiting? i'm also not having a dig, just putting you right on what i know :)

i've had many so many peaceful evenings barbel fishing ruined by the scream of alarms that i stopped going in the end. certain stretches on the trent were like the showroom of a carp convention.

so hopefully you'll see, it wasn't a dig at barbel bashers per se (of which i am one myself more often than i'd like to admit) more a dig at a certain type of angler who seemed to come from nowhere on the trent a few years ago

Jeepster,

Definately not one of them and I know what you mean about the Trent. The Teme, Severn and Avon are my usual haunts and maybe the Ouse a little next season. I have seen the occasional bivvie on the Avon, but have never enquired as to what they are fishing for, as they are usually asleep. I can understand the bivvies and alarms if you are there for a long session, like a few days or more. Most of my fishing is done late afternoon and early evening with the odd night thrown in, especially in the summer and isotopes are the order of the day. I like to see my bites and not hear them as I guess you do too.

Paul

you got it seph, glad you can see i'm not knocking barbel bashers (or for that matter carpers) there's a time and a place for everything, and the time for alarms and bivvies isn't on a river bank :)

haven't seen a single bivvy or heard an alarm since i started fishing the bristol avon a few months ago, it's bliss i tell you, bliss!

you got it seph, glad you can see i'm not knocking barbel bashers (or for that matter carpers) there's a time and a place for everything, and the time for alarms and bivvies isn't on a river bank :)

haven't seen a single bivvy or heard an alarm since i started fishing the bristol avon a few months ago, it's bliss i tell you, bliss!

I am lucky if sometimes I see another angler on the banks of the Avon, Severn and Teme sometimes, well certain stretches that I have the privelidge of fishing. Now that is bliss.

Paul

i know someone who caught that ghostie it was from a very very very private strech of the river... i've seen photos but he is not aloud to tell any one the location all i kno is its in between 2 locks and the fish are basically stuck in ther...try spots around newark we had carp up to 36 from ther plus them barbel things give good sport in between proper fish....u got any other rivers in mind?

Scoop

So far obviousley The Trent it's my home river that I grew up on, I spent many many hours at Stoke Bardolph, Burton Joyce, Gunthorpe, Clifton etc, that's how I knew of the Carp at Wilford. I've also ear marked Thames, Nene, Upper Severn, and Witham, after that the Southern rivers but as someone pointed out on Carp UK it may be a bit ambitious which I think might be the case but I would love to start with the Trent. I'm sure I know the two locks your talking about is that a syndicate stretch ? I'd love to give it a crack but I'm sure Wilford holds some good fish as well.

best

Bankside