Fox Trek Spin (4pce)

Ken L

This rod is 9'6'' and rated to cast 40 to 100gms which would seem to make it just the job for my trips to the tropics. I've not seen one so before I flex my plastic, I'd appreciate any information from anyone who has, particularly about whether the rated casting weight is realistic.

Will this rod really punch out (rather than lob) lures upto and just over 3oz ?

Any comments of the action would be appreciated as well. Is it stiff or sloppy and is it tippy (fast) or through(slow) ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Have a look at the Shimano travel spin rods [sTC] or multi piece Exage.

2 Rod sizes in one try the 10/11 for the heavier rod. £55 +p&P from Harris last Sept.

Most Fox rods I have seen look and by all accounts are really good value.

Colin

Edited by Colin Brett

The Shimano Exage's are nice rods but the most powerful of them is only rated to cast 50g and I already have a rod that'll do that.

I thought I'd found just the jobbie in the Askari catalogue in the shape of a 3 piece 2.7m pirking rod from Belzer but it didn't show up on the website and when I e-mailed them, it turns out that they've discontinued the rod.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

why do you not look at . http://www.cabelas.com/home.jsp;jsessionid...requestid=57379

they have very good rods for a reasonble price

gr jerry

And as finishing touch

god created the dutch

Thanks Jerry. Unfortunatly the most powerful travel rod available from Cabelas is 7' 6" and casts upto 2.5oz so the Fox rod appears to have it beeten on both length and power - if it does what it says on the packet.

the rods in the states are not so long they have the power for big fish , there they do a lot more of fishing with lures then we do

gr jerry

And as finishing touch

god created the dutch

This rod is 9'6'' and rated to cast 40 to 100gms which would seem to make it just the job for my trips to the tropics.

I went into the Friendly Fisherman (Andy Lush) for a heavier travel spinning rod - was offered a Greys Missionary - very similar to your Fox (but more expensive)

I rejected it on the grounds of length , both overall length - (I wanted it for boat fishing and it was too long) and the travelling length was also a bit on the long side.

Andy then showed me, and I settled for, an 8' TF Jourmeyman (4 joints) at about £75 (half the price of the Greys) which will chuck 100g - very useful for boat fishing for barramundi - it will sling a lure under the mangrove bushes. The action I would describe as "a bit faster than medium"

Norma used the Journeyman on our recent trip to Belize (I was concentrating on fly fishing for permit and bones) She got a variety of fish with it - cuda, snapper, trevally etc. The rod behaved well - even made a good fist of trying to stop a monster that spooled her.

Not sure what you want yours for - in my view something 9 to 10' would be a good bank spinning rod, but in a boat I like my spinning rods to be 8' or shorter.

...but can't fault the Journeyman - and I am no fan of Mr Hayes.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Vagabond. Thanks for that. I came across the journeyman rod the other day and will consider it. I already have a StCroix Tidemaster that's 7' long and rated to cast 1.5oz (actually. it'll cast just over 2 with no problems) but I could do with a bit more power and length to bully fish over rocks and for my bait fishing exploits.

The other option is a symetrically split 8' uptider, but the travelling length on these is a bit OTT.

i have seen a good rod for by bass pro , it the power plus form offshore angler look at it i own the 9 ft and you can cacth everthing on it , i have cacth tarpon catfish ,snook ,gt , barracuda , bonefish and fish that has no name

gr jerry

And as finishing touch

god created the dutch