Shotting pattern when trotting a float

tiddlertamer

Guest tigger
But I'm pretty sure that's what Budgie meant, not *laying on* as a method but how the float is cast in, it needs to be laid on the water gently rather than just chucked in.

Apart from not tangling it's less likely to spook the fish, which I expect to be reasonably close because despite what Colin has said I always use a bait dropper on the Avon, I never never never loose feed it, your bait will be gone 100 yards before it hits bottom (if you're lucky).

I've just looked at Budgies post and I think he did mean how he places his float etc in the water.

I've been out today trotting on the local river and was loose feeding maggots as usuall with some brilliant results,two of my Dace where just over the 1 lb mark :D . I've never used a baitdropper when trotting.

Edited by tigger

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I'm pretty sure that's what Budgie meant, not *laying on* as a method but how the float is cast in, it needs to be laid on the water gently rather than just chucked in.

Apart from not tangling it's less likely to spook the fish, which I expect to be reasonably close because despite what Colin has said I always use a bait dropper on the Avon, I never never never loose feed it, your bait will be gone 100 yards before it hits bottom (if you're lucky).

Yes Ayjay thats what I meant.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I've been out today trotting on the local river and was loose feeding maggots as usuall ............

..................................................... I've never used a baitdropper when trotting.

But the question is about the Hants. Avon and similar rivers.

Lets do some maths.

River is flowing at 4mph.

That comes down to 5.8 feet per second.

Clean maggots sink one foot in 7 seconds. (Greasy ones take much longer).

In a six foot deep swim they are therefore over 80 yards (6 X 7 X 5.8 = 240feet) downstream before they reach the bottom, where they won't necessarily stop immediately, they'll keep on rolling and tumbling along the bottom for quite some distance.

You're very welcome to fish fifty yards upstream of me whenever you want, just bring plenty of bait. <_<

Guest tigger

Lets do some maths.

In a six foot deep swim they are therefore over 80 yards (6 X 7 X 5.8 = 240feet) downstream before they reach the bottom, where they won't necessarily stop immediately, they'll keep on rolling and tumbling along the bottom for quite some distance.

You're very welcome to fish fifty yards upstream of me whenever you want, just bring plenty of bait. <_<

ajay your forgetting fish don't just sit and wait for maggots to come to them, they move up stream picking them off as they float down towards them so by loose feeding your attracting fish to your swim from way downstream. Also if a swim permitts it I will trott my float 40/50 yds or until I can no longer see it.

Edited by tigger

Lets do some maths.

Think 4mph is an over estimate. Even on a river like the Avon its likely to be under half that. (My float has never travelled at nearly 6 feet per second when I've fished it!) - for comparison the speed of the tide under London bridge is between 1-3knots under normal conditions....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Lets forget the figures and maths Ajay quoted.THe point he is quite rightly (IMO) making is in some circumstances you simply cant get your loose feed to the bottom in the place that you want it by just chucking it in.Also as he says this is quite often the case on rivers sucxh as the Avon. In fact it is the only venue that I do/have regularly used a bait dropper.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!