Herring / Tuna...Eastern I.O.W????

RobT

Hi all

I just wonder if any anglers from the south hants area or I.O.W can confirm or deny that a monsterous shoal of herring appeared at the eastern end of the Island in the last week...I've had two calls in a matter of minutes saying the same thing.

The interesting bit about this is that there are also rumours of a trawler picking up two tuna in his net...as with these things though the weights I have been told have ranged from 40lb to 460lb.

Any info would be appreciated.

Regards

Rob

Electric Bluefin Tuna Charters

Rob, not much help but we were out off the coast of Holland last Wed and in 30mtrs of water shoals of herring were packed from bottom to 20mtrs up, we foul hooked a few and moved on. The Cod that we did manage (25 up to 12lb) were just busting with them.

Have you asked any of the Brixham boats, one or two of the Summer pleasure boats turn to Herring and Sprats until the season starts again?

Alan

ps could you let me have Nick Buss contact details via email please, new rod coming up

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

I caught a herring once in the Solent on a small feather - is that the accepted way when there is a shoal? I fancy a herring or two for the smoker...

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Salar:

I caught a herring once in the Solent on a small feather - is that the accepted way when there is a shoal? I fancy a herring or two for the smoker...

I'd much prefer a Tuna :D

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

There are tiny feathers on the market for herring but another way if you want LOADS is to make up a string of tiny triple hooks, say 6 or 8, thread the line through the eye of the hook and take a few turns around the shank, do this for all the hooks leaving about 5 inches between each hook ending up with an ounce or so weight, enough to get you down into the shoal while they are there.

Not in the least bit sporting and foul hooking all the time but if you want bait or food for the table it does work.

Now I wonder how many people I have upset :D

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

This last week was eating Kippers and 'Red' Herring which is new to me and is apparently an old recipe. They are smoked almost to the manner of jerked beef. Quite an intense flavour.

Salar - guess it must be, there was an earlier thread where some people were noted to have feathered for herring off piers in East Anglia and then livebaited for bass.

And Jabee, I'd prefer a tuna but my smoker isn't big enough.

And Alan, much like the way squid are caught I suppose.