Fish`n` strips

tonyfromalnwick

Cranfield:

Newt, I don,t think its quite the "Ma and Pa" type operation you suggest.

Having tried them in the US, over a couple of years (as have my friends), I am not convinced they make any difference when added as a supplement to bait, or lures.

However, I was stunned at the comparative price they were being sold in the UK.

I think that poor sales and a rip-off price is the reason for the reduction.

I agree that Malcs007,s post is probably the most balanced we have seen, from someone who has a vested interest.

It makes a change from the "I caught and all my mates didn,t/ dogs danglers" type comments we receive, on every fish n strips thread, usually from a "New Poster".   :rolleyes:  

I agree 100% and that is taking it line for line on your reply.

Then again us responding is cheap advertising even though it is neither for or against.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding Tony's posting about price and ripp off Britain and waiting until they cost £4. Well im afraid with that attitude which seems to apply to a lot of sea anglers "we will never run out of natural worm baits, sandeels, harbour rag" and any other bait that can be sold for profit. Lots of digging areas have been over dug, some areas you can no longer dig and if all the seabeds are trawled for crabs and sandeels then much damage will be done to feeding areas for cod ect.As a tackle shop owner i was really excited when the price was dropped by £3.51 and the trade price was dropped by just £1 so people think they get ripped off!! Also customers come in and want fresh lug, not frozen blacks, fresh peeler not frozen and even live sandeels now. Seems to be a mindset in East Anglia that if it doesnt move then it wont catch but i go fishing with Barny Wright evry week or so and he uses worm and i use the strips, score so far 6-4 to me!! The only reason TSF did the article was i took Barny pleasure fishing over Xmas using the latest batch of strips and out fished worm bait 2-1. So if Tony wants to use the US type of strips because they are cheap, then do so because they should do 3 hours per strip so u really get your moneys worth but bugger all fish!! Looking no further than your wallet will only make bait shortages worse and worms more exspensive.I must be mad because i only take strips when i go pleasure fishing now and also crabs dont like them!!!11

I've got three packets of these waiting to try them from the boat when the season starts properly. How are they best used. Are they to be fished as a cocktail ie, tipping off or are the to be used on their own. If so is it just one on a hook at a time or two or three.

Cheers,

Marc

Hi Mark. I have never used them for boat fishing but many people have and have had good catches. I would use one piece per hook if u intend to leave it out there for 30 mins plus or until u get a bite if u are fishing 4 round fish. If u are going for flat fish with small hooks then i would cut them longways from one end to the other. You can cut them in half cross-ways once and use for tipping big baits or cut into very small squares and tip baits using small hooks and tiny baits. I use them without bait now and will get one 5 hour session with 2 rods using half a packet sometimes.

Also u can leave one one the hook if it has only been out once and it will stay on again for another cast up to i week later and still catch fish ( 3lb 10 codling 4 weeks ago ) Want any more info, drop me a line Mark. Tight lines

Don`t curse me!

Whether they work better than worms or fish bait, doesn`t seem to be the point?

Excuse me if I`m wrong. But I thought they were being advertised as `better than no bait`? `Keep a pack handy`?

From what I`ve seen on various sites, folks have caught fish on them. Whether they`re better than natural bait is up for discussion. But if I wanted to go fishing and couldn`t get any fresh bait. I think I`d use them.

Not much of a reccomendation I know. But then I`m being honest.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Ive been in situations this winter when we had no bait at all and all i could use was strips or fishbait. One day over xmas, i must of turned away 40+ people wanting bait ( worm ) and there wasnt any bait in the county i know for a fact. If u said try these, they will catch fish if they are there these one trip to the shop customers would rather stay at home with the xmas inlaws than pay all that money to have 2 x 5 hour fishing trips. People think you get worms out of a draw and always want better worms than the last shop they used and i have been paying 17p per worm just to sell them out at 16p each!!!!! So i must really be crazy to hope that they do catch fish!!we have had a very poor season for cod and i hope it fishes its nuts off this season because my customers may have to use these fish n strips because there is no bait, or bait diggers left!!! But one thing is for sure and that is they may catch as well as lug or they may not, does crab catch better than sandeel maybe ,maybe not and does ragworm catch better than black lug?

Answers on back of a postcard please.

Well Paul, go and fish were u will be guarranteed to catch fish ( if u have a direct contact with God he may be able to help)and try a pack,next time u may laugh when somebody says " i tried them for an hour and caught nowt " but u have some strips and he couldnt get bait for love nor money and u have caught ONE fish and you can stay a few hours more and see if u can catch 1 more. Give it a try.

PS do want to know where you will b guarranteed to catch fish then, LOL. Sorry, had a temp of 40 degrees saturday night, LOL

40 degrees! That's nearly freezing! You might sell a few more now you have got carpet on the floor. Hairy *rsed anglers with muddy boots will be well welcome now :D . P.S. Your brothers Advantage RealTree boots looked the biz :D:D:D !!!

Tackle Turkey - he should have looked closer. Peter couldn't even be bothered to match his sox to his slippers. No fashion sense whatever.

Posted Image Posted Image

But that's not to say the hidden bits aren't pattern coordinated.

Pretty good match for the slippers

Posted Image

And not a bad attempt at matching the sox

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President