What weight approx

tincatinca

Got to be a pound and a half at least, possibly a bit more as it looks quite chunky.

Good fish!

Our chief weapon is surprise

Blimey ! I think I ought to come up to Yorkshire to fish for your fat roach !

When I catch a 12" roach it's only an ounce or two over the pound .........

Ok Dave I did say "around 12 inch".

I've just looked at the weight to length ratio, and it suggests 1lb 8oz at 13". So in my book 13", is "around" 12". :P

My 1lb 13oz fish was exactly 15", so that might help you TT.

Talking of fish weighing more in one place than another. The week after we fished a bream dominated match on the Yorkshire Ouse, we had another on the R Idle. Size for size the Yorks bream weighed about 50% more than the R Idle bream did.

It must be the Yorkshire water Dave.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I agree that the fish is probably around the 1lb 8oz mark.

However, I think - but I'm no expert! - that is a roach x rudd intgergeneric hybrid. It's not just the slight brassy colour, which oculd be a trick of the light, the fin positions suggest that it is a bit of both. Drawing an imaginary line from the pelvic to dorsal fin shows the dorsal is further back than a roach, but less so than a rudd. Also, the eye is red, i.e. roach, the upturned mouth is rudd like, as is the slightly more red tail - roach are nearly always a transparent dark grey/black. Also the lateral line is a little lower than normal. You can count the rays in the dorsal fin, but it's probably a bit difficult now!

I wouldn't give a monkeys though, if I caught it I would be made up.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."