Cheesepaste question

Anderoo

Yeah! That's the way I have always made it gozzer.

Nowadays of course you could always do some adding, pineapple flavouring for instance. :thumbs:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, maybe I'll try a couple of different recipes. The reason I was planning to use pastry mix instead of bread is that (apparently) the bread mix can go very hard in cold water, and make it difficult to hook anything. This is just internet hearsay though...

Yes cheese can go hard in cold water, but I've never known it to effect setting the hook. Make sure your not using a piece too big for the hook, not moulding it too hard, and leave the point just showing. You could always take the cheese slice option, this doesn't go too hard in winter.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Yes cheese can go hard in cold water, but I've never known it to effect setting the hook. Make sure your not using a piece too big for the hook, not moulding it too hard, and leave the point just showing. You could always take the cheese slice option, this doesn't go too hard in winter.

I could, but I'd like something fishing-related to do this evening. I've already got the bit and pieces, just need to kneed!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks for the question and answers on cheespaste, I must admit I have neglected this bait all the years I have been fishing, certainly will give it a go now.

I have said before that I have been hair rigging pieces of cheese for chub with some success, and it is an instant bait Has anyone else had success with this method?

As you will have realised by now Anderoo, there's lots of ways to make cheesepaste.

I normally use a mix of Cheddar, Danish Blue and shortcrust pastry. More or less equal quantities of each.

I certainly agree with Andy Nellist about the Puff Pastry, it has a higher fat content than shortcrust which makes it less suitable.

A couple more methods I use sometimes. Cheddar cheese mixed with just a very small amount of soft margarine, nothing else required. When I say small amount of marg I'm talking about a teaspoonful to a pound of cheese, and use the stuff that spreads straight from the fridge.

Red Leicester mixed with Dolcelatte makes a really good cheespaste, equal quantities, and once again nothing else is required.

A few drops of garlic oil is a good additive for cheespaste, powdered colours can also be used if you feel the need to ring the changes.

I wouldn't waste your time freezing it, put it in a bait fridge if you have one but otherwise just keep it somewhere cold, probably best not to do this with a paste containing bread or some of the other additives (fishmeals) but the mixes I use I keep from one season to the next. They do stink after a while but the chub love it, not to mention the Bream, Barbel and Pike.

I've never bothered hair rigging cheese, it's just so much easier to use paste straight on the hook, easier to hook the chub as well.

Cheesepaste is my 1st winter chub bait,i`ve had tremendous success using it over the years.I do tend to try out different cheeses,but my fav mixture is gorgonzola and Red leicester,before mixing add a teaspoon of olive oil and a few drops of pure garlic oil,it stinks like hell but the results are rewarding!!!.Also when using paste try the Korum paste coils they really are a great bit of kit. :clap2:

"Dont **** in the pool,and then tell me you"ve swallowed some water".

Must admit that I never use anything else solid apart from cheese.

Equal amounts of Parmesan and Danish Blue plus one drop of garlic essential oil. Cut the cheese into small blocks (grate the Parmesan if you like) Chuck it all in a bowl and whack it in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds or until you see the cheese start to melt. Take it out and cool it off a tad then spend a while kneading it together (can take forever but its worth it). Thats the best cheesepaste I`ve ever used.

Edited by Severn Wolf
wolf.gif

It freezes well BTW....and re-freezes.....and re-freezes....

Paul

definately a top bait in my view

a favorite trick of mine when using a soft paste (not just cheese)

is to tie a hair rig and fit a ledger stop on the hair and then mould the paste

around the stop

if you use a very short hair length you can cover the hook as well

definately a top bait in my view

a favorite trick of mine when using a soft paste (not just cheese)

is to tie a hair rig and fit a ledger stop on the hair and then mould the paste

around the stop

You've just answered my worry about how to hair-rig a lobworm ;):)

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.