Lure chucking

tommo666

I have recently discovered lure fishing. Caught my resonal best perch on first outing.

Problem I am having is casting any distance. My spool is loaded with 30lb braid, a wire trace cos there are small pike present. The lure I am having most sucess with is a little Ondex spinner with the red tail feathers, so it's very light.

Can anyone advise a set up which will assist me in casting this tiny lure further.

Many thanks.

a fish,a fish, my kingdom for a fish

Rod designed for the weight you are casting is probably the biggest single help.

Take the lure weight, add a smidge for the wire, then use a rod that has the combined weight somewhere in the middle of it's recommended range.

For instance, if I plan to toss 1/8 oz lures on a given day, I go with a rod that is rated for 1/16 - 3/8 oz lures.

You obviously want a reel that matches the rod and deals well with the line weight.

These days, a good carbon rod can handle a surprisingly large fish as long as you don't try to bully the fish. So if you have a light rod and do hook into a decent size pike, you can probably get it to the net if you take your time and the area you are fishing is open enough to allow the fish to run without getting into snags or heavy weed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Your tackle is'nt balanced. The lure /spinner you're using is far too light in casting weight in relation to the strength of line used . 30lb braid is quite thin but still far too heavy for the little ondex you're using. If you want to continue with braid for perch, then try some 8 or 10lb braid and you will cast the Ondex much easier.

Also if the reel spool is under filled it will require some backing line to minimise the drag when casting, from the lip of the spool. You may also have to look at you rod as the main culprit in all of this as the small casting weight of the Ondex may be too light to get any action out of your rod. If you are unable to change your rod to one more suitable for casting light lures then the only sensible thing to do is use a heavier lure, always bearing in mind that compromise between weight, size and effectiveness of lure on the species you intend to catch

I have recently discovered lure fishing. Caught my resonal best perch on first outing.

Problem I am having is casting any distance. My spool is loaded with 30lb braid, a wire trace cos there are small pike present. The lure I am having most sucess with is a little Ondex spinner with the red tail feathers, so it's very light.

Can anyone advise a set up which will assist me in casting this tiny lure further.

Many thanks.

The real problem is that the Ondex lacks aerodynamics...ie it wont cast for toffee and that furry red tail doesn't help. Its nice using lightweight old fashioned spinners occasionally but even with a lightweight outfit you are confined to the water in front of you and even the larger heavier Ondex is a real pain in the bum to cast any distance. Its tempting to suggest that you change lures to something slicker and heavier to get distance, but you have to ask yourself first why you need to cast a long way off. I know the temptation to cast at the horizon is always there, but its usually not where the fish tend to be. You 'll probably find them closer to your feet than you think and that's the rule rather than the exception. Try approaching the bank quietly, stand a little way back out of sight and cover the water in front of you. Then get a little closer and try the margins either side. No luck? change swims...find some 'structure' as Rex Hunt likes to call it. Fallen trees in the water, overhanging branches, jetties etc ...they'l more likely be there than straight out in dead water. Particularly perch. If you can't find them with your Ondex at short range then ..and only then. clip on something heavier and streamlined and try a bit further out.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Yes that is the casting weight, but it seems a very wide range, from a quarter of an ounce to one and a quarter ounces.

Your ondex will be at the lighter end of that range, if it were me I'd weigh it, and to get the best out of your rod you need as Newt has already said, the optimum casting weight.

To find out what works best for your rod, take a handful of weights ranging from a quarter ounce to the one and a quarter and practice cast on a piece of waste land and find a weight that your rod works best with. Start at the smallest and work up in 1/4 ounces, you will soon know when the rod is overworked as casting distance is reduced and effort increased. Once you know your rods optimum casting weight then you can buy lures in that weight range and know you can use both the rod and lure to both their potential

The rod sounds fine but as has been said, the Ondex isn't exactly built for distance fishing. Your best bet would be to load your 30lb braid onto another reel and spool up with 10lb Fireline* - making sure that the spool is reasonably full but not quite as full as you'd fill it with mono.

You've not said what reel you're using but a smallist (fairly light) one will help you move the rod quickly enough to punch the lure out. I would personally use a 1000 size Shimano on the sort of gear you're using.

If all else fails, try fishing some little soft shads on jigheads or some 3" swimbaits (much the same thing, just that the jig is built into the lure) 'cause they're heavy enough to cast further and they work pretty well with a simple straight retrieve at this time of year.

* I'd move over to a fused line like Fireline at low breaking strains (although 10lb Fireline actually breaks nearer 16lb) because it's much less prone to wind knots and looping on the reel.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Top advice from Brian,Jerry and Newt Tommo take note and you wont go far wrong.

In fact we have some good lure anglers on here full stop.About time some of them put on a lure teach/fish in aint it?

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Bull Dawgs certainly are not cheap lures but that is true of most larger swim baits.

http://www.eaglesportscenter.com/products/minnovat/dawg.htm is a US source and the prices are pretty well in line with the ones from The LureShack.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President