17 foot Dell Quay

sam-cox

I bought a 17-foot dell quey dory last April for 400 quid. The plan was to give her a lick of paint and go fishing.

As it turns out the expanding foam that is used to give the boat its rigidity and buoyancy was saturated with water. My farther helped me by cutting around the deck; I then rolled the deck up like a carpet.

My next job was to get my garden spade and dig all the old water logged foam out of the hull.

After digging about 900lb of foam from the hull and four trips to the dump in the van it was time to clean inside the hull. This was done with a wire brush and acitone to get it really clean.

My Dad then glassed in a length of 4-inch pipe from the bow to the stern; then three bulkheads were glassed in.

We decided that the best thing to do would be put the deck back with a beading of plasticine and tack it down with self-taps. This was to be temporary so we could pump the new modern expanding foam into the hull. Then once the foam had set we could lift the deck and check the foam had got into all the nooks and crannies.

After 300 quid’s worth of foam had been pumped into the hull it was time to put the deck back properly. A. Layer of wet glass was laid around the hole and the deck gently lowered back in place.

A few days after we did the deck the winter set in and the boat was turned upside down and covered with a tarp.

Last weekend my Dad bought me a pressy, he got me an orbital sander so I could start sanding the underneath of the hull.

I started this on Sunday, all the anti foul has to be sanded off so we can inspect any damage then repairer it.

I did ware a mask, as anti foul is horrible stuff to breath and would do me no good at all. I only worked in 20-minute stints so not to burn the sander out, but after only 3 hours work I have sanded about 95%.

My plan is to have her in the water by May, my Dad is going to build me a snazzy centre consort and I have a good Yamaha 55hp 2 stroke to push her along.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

I bought a 17-foot dell quey dory last April for 400 quid. The plan was to give her a lick of paint and go fishing.

As it turns out the expanding foam that is used to give the boat its rigidity and buoyancy was saturated with water. My farther helped me by cutting around the deck; I then rolled the deck up like a carpet.

My next job was to get my garden spade and dig all the old water logged foam out of the hull.

After digging about 900lb of foam from the hull and four trips to the dump in the van it was time to clean inside the hull. This was done with a wire brush and acitone to get it really clean.

My Dad then glassed in a length of 4-inch pipe from the bow to the stern; then three bulkheads were glassed in.

We decided that the best thing to do would be put the deck back with a beading of plasticine and tack it down with self-taps. This was to be temporary so we could pump the new modern expanding foam into the hull. Then once the foam had set we could lift the deck and check the foam had got into all the nooks and crannies.

After 300 quid’s worth of foam had been pumped into the hull it was time to put the deck back properly. A. Layer of wet glass was laid around the hole and the deck gently lowered back in place.

A few days after we did the deck the winter set in and the boat was turned upside down and covered with a tarp.

Last weekend my Dad bought me a pressy, he got me an orbital sander so I could start sanding the underneath of the hull.

I started this on Sunday, all the anti foul has to be sanded off so we can inspect any damage then repairer it.

I did ware a mask, as anti foul is horrible stuff to breath and would do me no good at all. I only worked in 20-minute stints so not to burn the sander out, but after only 3 hours work I have sanded about 95%.

My plan is to have her in the water by May, my Dad is going to build me a snazzy centre consort and I have a good Yamaha 55hp 2 stroke to push her along.

Good work sam can you post some pics? I was looking at a Dell Quay 14 the other day at a chandlers they wanted nearly £3k for it and on close inspection it had been tarted up and looked like it had the problem yours had! It did have a brand new 40hp motor tho, and a brand new trailer!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

how do you tell if the foam is waterlogged??...excuse my ignorance..do you just drill a hole ???

We suspected that the foam was water logged mainly due to the boat being bloody heavy.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Are you taking photos as you go along, Sam?

Always on the lookout for new articles ;)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Very interesting this. I like this dory, nearly bought one years ago. The center consol is great.

I have to say, for a boat in need of so much work, almost a re-build, £400 wasn't cheap.

Good hull shape, they can motor a bit in choppy seas.

A 40hp will whip it along.

Perhaps I should sell my old caravan........................................?

Edited by maidstonemike

That is unbelievable Mike. £995 wow!

Yeah but it only does 2.5knts flat out! ;)

On tother one shame they havent give a pic so you can see inside the hull, I wonder why not?

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com