Would you buy a chicken at your door ?

Ken L

with poultry more than any other meat, provenance is everything, so without knowing where it came from, no i wouldn't buy chicken at the door for any price. i pay around £6-7 a kilo for organic chicken and it's the tastiest chicken i've ever had, and though it may seem expensive i can get 3 or 4 meals for two from one chicken :)

Edited by jeepster

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, My thoughts are these:

1. The price is an obvious rip off. I was in Lidl today and whole frozen chickens were a quid each !

If the bird was free range, it would be a different matter but it isn't.

2. There is no way of tracing the source of the meat so it could be condemed, stollen or whatever - if sick birds start making their way into the foodchain, she's putting herself right in the fireing line for H5N1 along wityh her friens and family.

3. Without knowing that he has premises that are subject to health inspection, there is no way of confirming that the meat has been processed and packaged in a hygenic environment.

4. There is no way of knowing what temerature the meat has been kept at durring processing and storage - it certanly isn't refigerated when he turns up in his ordinary saloon car.

5. The bird might appear fresh but that means nothing, I've known of butchers that would defrost a frozen chicken, pip it in hot water for a moment and thenpat it dry so that the skin looks fresh.

6. The fact the she hasn't got sick yet is no guarentee that she won't get sick in the future - On five out of every six goes, nothing bad happens when you play Russian Roulette.

I supose what it comes down to is that I'm only to well aware of some of the meat scams that go on out there and am more than willing to believe the worst of a bloke that wants to make a black market income by selling chicken to the elderly at rip off prices. It also winds me up to hear my aunt defend the guy by saying that he provided her with a usefull service when her leg was bad - she's now had a hip replacement.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I have to agree no way would I buy any meat 'on the door' never mind chicken. You have no idea what state the bird was in, how it's been raised and killed, how it's been butchered and how it's been stored or for how long. If the bloke was legit then he'd trade properly and in a manner deemed safe and hygenic. I would bet he's breaking dozens of laws; Environmental health and tax evasion being just two that spring to mind.

Rob.

ARRR i dont know! maybe she has had em off him for years! he may of been the spiv

doing a bit of blackmarket during ww2

maybe he has a bit of scrubland and its a little side line!

if it looks all right and smells alright then it probly is alright :thumbs:

good on her for not going to tesco! :)

think its pritty sad how up tight they have made us! wers the greengrocer van

wers the couple of bums that used to come round to sharpen knives on a stone wheel

powerd by a bike peddle and chain, wers the stoaty looking old bloke in a cloth cap

offering you a couple of rabbits and a pheasant down the local for the price of a pint of

ale and large whisky?

nah i see wot you mean! we need it on poly and rapped in clingfilm served up by a dozy spotty bint

that cant raise a minimum wage smile! and if it makes us ill we can take em for a few hundred quid!

good on ya auntie :thumbs:

Edited by geffaz

So, this really kind Gentleman that has been helping your infirm Aunt , by delivering reasonably priced free range chickens to here door on a weekly basis, is getting severely mauled on an Internet Forum.

What is the World coming to. :g:

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Selling any meat door to door in this fashion is illegal this would also include barter.

A farmer or smallholder may kill or have killed livestock humanely for his own consumption with out sending the livestock to a registered slaughterhouse.

Regulations controlling mobile fresh meat and fish sales are set extremely high, only wish the same could be said for the mobile snack vans set up in lay-bys or at some of the shows I visit.

But like so many laws there are loopholes, which are fully exploited every day without anyone, batting an eyelid.

Hunter goes on a rough shoot for rabbits, hares or other game and sells it of to cover the cost of shells.

As I understand it the only loser could be the taxman, but I suspect if they were declared with cost set against them there would be no tax liability.

But who is to say that this meat is healthy?

Aunty may be supporting a rustler, it’s not just foxes that steal chickens.

;):D:D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Guest Finepix

If you know when this guy delivers the chicken arrange to be there yourself. You are obviously very concerned, but the only way you are going to find any solution is by talking to the guy face to face. If he is 'dodgy' his intentions will be obvious once faced with a not so vulnerable party. It would be unfair to tell your Aunt to stop purchasing them as she has a mind of her own, and would not wish to be treated like a child.

If it turns out he is on the make, you could arrange to purchase a chicken for her weekly (this way she'd get a definite weekly visit as well), but I wouldn't advise one for a 'quid' in Lidl's !!! :yucky:

Hope you get it sorted .......................

ARRR i dont know! maybe she has had em off him for years! he may of been the spiv

doing a bit of blackmarket during ww2

maybe he has a bit of scrubland and its a little side line!

if it looks all right and smells alright then it probly is alright :thumbs:

good on her for not going to tesco! :)

think its pritty sad how up tight they have made us! wers the greengrocer van

wers the couple of bums that used to come round to sharpen knives on a stone wheel

powerd by a bike peddle and chain, wers the stoaty looking old bloke in a cloth cap

offering you a couple of rabbits and a pheasant down the local for the price of a pint of

ale and large whisky?

nah i see wot you mean! we need it on poly and rapped in clingfilm served up by a dozy spotty bint

that cant raise a minimum wage smile! and if it makes us ill we can take em for a few hundred quid!

good on ya auntie :thumbs:

TOOK THE WORDS...... :clap: