ANCHOR suggestions please

predator1

hi i have had the same anchor for 3 years the typical fishermans type.

the last 3/4 times i have been fishing, i have had trouble with it not holding.

so i was wondering what type of anchors are the best and what lenghths of chain some of you use with yours.personly i think the anchor is ok its the ammount of chain needed to lay the anchor down.

i have plenty of rope out, and currently have about 3 mtrs of chain. i was told you need the lenghth of your boat plus half again but i thought this would be too much any suggestions welcome thanks.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are different types of anchor for different types of bottom.

Sand, mud, rock.

The length of rope that you put out should be three times the depth (remember to allow for different states of the tide - you may find that the anchor holds at a certain place fine on a neap tide, but drags on a spring, unless you let out more rope to allow for the extra depth).

(It's always a good idea to carry a spare anchor so that should you lose an anchor, then suffer an engine breakdown (say), you aren't left drifting beam on on a rising sea, or swept towards some place you don't want to be)

Tight Lines - leon

[ 11. July 2005, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

used to have a plough anchor and 4M of 9mm chain on 16 foot boat.Fine in mud/sand but would sometimes drag when on harder ground.Now have a stainless grapnel with same chain, this holds in all ground.Have been told bruce anchors are also very good allround anchor.Hope this is of some use

:) Used all sort of Anchore, these days prefer the Bruce type, geuine artical very expensive, some good copies about at resonable cost. Bruce are high holding power, comparing the published charts, boat size/recomended anchore size, Bruce types consistently come in on size lighter. What you cant scimp on is the chain (on any anchore) minimum of the boats length 5/16" (8mm) size for a dinghy. Fishermans anchores are great general purpose jobies'especialy on rocky marks, but size for size are low on holding power in mud/sand/shingle. All about blade/fluke area, the 3x depth on rope is also a good rule of thumb.

CJS2 :D

ok great that helps out alot i think my fishermans anchor will be ok. i will get some more chain, the boat i have is the new predator out a great all rounder and is just 16ft so with my 3 and a mtrs of chain i think i will get some more chain thanks for your help everyone .

Personally, I would not use a fishermans anchor. Plough (CQR), Danforth and Bruce anchors all hold better for less weight, and easier to store and don't have sticky-out bits to tangle. Also, fishermen anchors have a tendency to wrap and break out when the tide turns, other tpyes just swing round and dig in again. On my Trophy 2352 I use a plough anchor rigged to breakout from a snag, with 5mt chain, the rest rope. In theory you should let out 5x rope to depth of water but I have had this hold with only 2x depth in a strong tide. The only time it drags is on an area called New Grounds which is virtually a sheet of flat rock, but if I let out enough rope it eventually finds a hold. Try on-line shops for cheap anchors, line Compass24, or commercial fishing suppliers like South West Nets. And take a spare (that could be your fisherman!) cos I've seen boats have to pack up and go after losing their anchors to snags or badly fixed shackles.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

It horses for courses I think. Around my way it's all mud and sand not a rock for 30 miles. For a 23 ft boat I have 3 anchors. a 10lb CQR a 22lb Danforth and a 20lb fishermans type. I use the fishermans type when fishing and one of the other 2 if I anchor at night asleep. The reason being the Danforth and CQR hold in the mud so well they can be a pain to get out! I only use 15ft of 3/8 chain when fishing. I never have a problem holding. At night sleeping I use all chain 50 Yards.

I have seen shackles come undone! I use a cable tie to secure them and keep an eye on them evertime I bring them in. They have always been OK.