Dabbing about

nifty

Went down to Borth (West Wales) this morning seeing as the weather looked to be improving and although only a couple of degrees above freezing, the forcast was for variable 2-3 winds so not too bad.

I had met a guy a few weeks back down there who wanted to try the yak out so he met me on the beach around 11am and he went and had a paddle around for quarter of an hour. I reckon he'll be joining the mob before long.

borth001.jpg

It was getting towards midday when I got out to fish and planned on fishing just a 100yds or so out behind the surfline and drifting down with the spoon to try and get one of the flounders that have been showing just lately. An hour of this produced nothing so I repeated the drift with a mackerel strip bait instead of the lug but without the spoon hoping for, well anything really but possibly a Turbot which again have been caught in the nets along there recently. Again that drew a big fat nowt so with time getting on I just wanted to catch so it was out about half a mile, put the anchor down and get the baited shrimp rig on with an extra hook on the lead link on a two foot trace to drag along the bottom. I baited the flowing hook with lug and put small pieces of lug and mackerel on the shrimp snoods.

Bites were almost instantaneous and I began catching Dab and Whiting steadily until after an hour they were going mad and I was getting double and triple shots within a couple of minutes of casting out. I even had two dabs on the same hook on one drop. It was good fun on the medium spinning rod and 8lb line with half an ounce of lead and although the Whiting were pretty tiny mostly, one or two of the Dabs were decent sized and would have made good eating if I'd had the heart to knock them on the nut.

The only downside of the day was my feet were bloody freezing and havn't warmed up yet :o

The forecast was spot on for once and the sea was like glass but with a bit of a lump to it that was putting a nice surf on the beach as the tide ebbed but I managed to get in without any mishaps :clap: although at one stage it was looking dodgy :o

Anyway I had a great daycatching smallstuff and dreaming of Porgies under the hull :D

Borth head.

borth002.jpg

A couple of tiddlers.

borth008.jpg

borth009.jpg

Tight lines

nifty :)

Nice trip Nifty.

Ive got an itch so i am just off to scratch it. Going to the get the float out around Hurst. Wont be the same from the shore though. :(

Be happy with half your bag though, well done. Aim this time of year is to avoid the dreaded blank.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

I wish I had made the effort and gone now. It was so cold that I stayed inwriting for the day - with A BIG fire going and the heating on - and I still needed a jumper. I was frozen.

Well done Nifty - I'll be there with you to try for the turbot further into the spring though. This year I want to do a lot more fishing. Work is going to get in the way though, I just know it!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

He who dares............ Wins

Great trip, but I think I will wait until the sun comes out

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

well done Nifty :thumbs: tried to fish from 4.a.m. this morning at Southbourne where the dredger was working but gave up due to freezing cold hands :schmoll: I think I might wait till it warms a fraction :sun:post-7370-1139164845_thumb.jpg

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

I was just going to ask how you had got on. :huh:

I like your style, not taking the easy route and trying something different. Shame you blanked but at least you got out and had a go. :)

Richi, It is a bit chilly, It's my feet that give me grief, the hands aren't so bad as long as I can keep them dry.

Martin, We'll start soon for the Turbot but I think we may have better luck on the shore as they seem to be caught actually in the surf virtually on the sand.

nifty. :)