Would it need a wire trace?

Newt

I would have thought it would be easier, or at least no more awkward to use a conventional buzzbait with a short wire trace. That thing looks like it would cast horribly!

You're determined to catch pike on one of those aren't you Newt! I think the best chance you'd have is on a river for chub, which take buzzbaits very readily in the summer. If you're coming in May though, we have a problem... Maybe a canal?

Jeepster, it would sink like a stone. No real threat to anyone or anything - only Newt's wallet!

Edited by Tim Kelly

Tim

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jeepster - see Tim's response re the buoyancy of a buzz bait. I sorta figured I'd put them where some lucky person fishing a crank bait might have a chance of landing the buzz bait. :D :D

Tim - the thing would cast horribly with an overhand toss I imagine but if you are using a multiplier and casting with a roll style, they do well once you get the feel for the way they behave.

LOL - I'm determined to give a variety of buzzbait styles a good try while I'm over there. It's partly a matter of how much I enjoy fishing them and getting the smashing surface takes but more than that, a matter of being able to say, "Ya Ya, I told you so, I told you so", to the large number of lure anglers over the years who have told me they won't catch fish. :D :D

Interesting to hear that chub like them. What sizes? Not for this trip but we will almost certainly be making other visits in the future and hopefully when money isn't quite so tight (starting a new business is EXPENSIVE) so the fact that air fares double if our visit runs into June or later won't matter so much.

I'll be trying a variety of techniques and look forward to some that are common in the UK but almost unknown over here - mostly the very delicate rigs & presentations you folks use with bait.

For the lure part, I just plan to have lots of fun with some lures & presentations that I think may catch some of your very smart preds. I've never targeted preds that have seen the sorts of angling pressure the UK fish enjoy so the challenge will be interesting. It may (probably will) result in fewer fish than otherwise but after nearly 60 years of fishing, I have plenty of fun with the fishing part and often times the catching part is simply an added bonus; nice but not required.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Know what you meanabout the airfares Newt. We've just booked our holidays in New England for early June to avoid the price bump. We've got a couple of weeks driving round Cape Cope (stripers? B) ) then off through Maine etc and down to Philadelphia where my dear wifey will be flying home and I'll be heading off for a weeks bass (small and large) fishing with my mates in the bass club! Don't know quite how I get away with it... :clap2:

Tim

LOL - I'm determined to give a variety of buzzbait styles a good try while I'm over there. It's partly a matter of how much I enjoy fishing them and getting the smashing surface takes but more than that, a matter of being able to say, "Ya Ya, I told you so, I told you so", to the large number of lure anglers over the years who have told me they won't catch fish. :D :D

I'll be trying a variety of techniques and look forward to some that are common in the UK but almost unknown over here - mostly the very delicate rigs & presentations you folks use with bait.

For the lure part, I just plan to have lots of fun with some lures & presentations that I think may catch some of your very smart preds. I've never targeted preds that have seen the sorts of angling pressure the UK fish enjoy so the challenge will be interesting. It may (probably will) result in fewer fish than otherwise but after nearly 60 years of fishing, I have plenty of fun with the fishing part and often times the catching part is simply an added bonus; nice but not required.

Hopefully you catch lots on your lures Newt and maybe show some people they don't know it all.

Tigger.

there's no denying newt can afford to lose a few buzz baits but i was thinking of it more from a fish welfare point of view, leaving lures in the water isn;t a good idea

Nobody want's to leave lures lying about in the water but sh*t happens and we do loose lures, hooks, floats and line etc etc, but thats life my friend and you can go OTT and it starts to sound a bit "do-gooderish" to me.

Maybe we shouldn't use hooks at all just in case we get snapped ?

At the end of the day Jeepster how far do you take the fish welfare thing?

I know you're gonna say we should take every precaution but how far do you take this line of thought before joining the Anti's for fear of putting a hook in the water and offending the fish.

Tigger.

Hopefully you catch lots on your lures Newt and maybe show some people they don't know it all.

Tigger.

LOL - thanks but I'm betting I'll be more likely to show me that I'd have caught more fish by paying attention to other folks.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I may well be wrong ,but surley if a fish struck at the blades it wouldn't be hooked anyway.

Tigger.

The pike wouldn't have to be hooked - if it closed its mouth over the spinner blades it could well bite through the line. It would almost certainly get rid of the lure soon after, but no-one likes losing lures for the reasons others have already given.

When I wanted to map the depths of a number of swims at Wingham with a Smartcast, Steve Burke suggested I put it on a wire trace. Someone he knew had had a pike go for the Smartcast on the retrieve!

He felt strongly enough about it to offer me a wire trace from his tackle box.

I've certainly had enough pike go for things like Polaris floats and swimfeeders on the retrieve to convince me that Newt's contraption should have a wire trace.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Isn't the obvious thing to try it without a trace first, and if the blade does get attacked start using a trace then?

The OBVIOUS thing would be to try WITH a trace so that if the blades were getting bitten you'd get your lure back!

Still, it's all a lot of fretting about nothing!

Tim