Breeding to hunt.

Peter Waller

Chesters, you'd be amazed at what some rich, predominantly American, people will do for a trophy. A friend of mine makes a pretty good living as a guide. Most of his business comes from Americans who want to shoot different deer species. He takes them out all over the country for standard deer, like Roe, Fallow, Reds and even Sika, but they are just as happy to go to places like Woburn to shoot Chinese Water Deer or even the fallow and Roes as they are often much better specimens than truely wild deer.

It's a bit like stamp collecting I suppose. Not something many people would want to do, but those that do pay very well for it and keep the economy going in various peculiar little backwaters!

Tim

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the people who pay to do it that I worry about. Why not let people pay to go into an abbatoir and kill a bullock with a humane killer, or perhaps they would like the thrill of chasing a pig about, stunning it and then slitting its throat. I'm sure there are some people who would pay for the thrill of putting a dog down in a vet's surgery.

Perhaps their money would be better spent on a penis enlargement.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Glenn,but we do kill the trout and how many coarse fish are killed either by us catching them or die later?Could be argued that at least a bullet is humane?

True, and it can't be denied.

Bottom line is that I justify my fishing because I truly believe that fish just don't have the nerve endings or brainpower to know what's happening to them. I also believe that a wounded deer (say) *does* suffer in the sense that it knows its own distress. Birds are a tricky area. We have kept parrots for many years, and through keeping them and playing with them I'd have to say that they "know what's going on" , so a wounded bird bothers me. I wouldn't livebait with a duckling. A frog? Not sure....

But, "I have no answers" ;)

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

It's the people who pay to do it that I worry about. Why not let people pay to go into an abbatoir and kill a bullock with a humane killer, or perhaps they would like the thrill of chasing a pig about, stunning it and then slitting its throat. I'm sure there are some people who would pay for the thrill of putting a dog down in a vet's surgery.

Perhaps their money would be better spent on a penis enlargement.

I'm positive many people would say the same about people who impale fish on steel hooks, drag them around a bit then have their picture taken with them and then put them back so they can repeat the torture next week.

People in glass houses etc etc....!

Edited by Tim Kelly

Tim

you may be right and i have said the same in the past as the saying goes it takes all sorts which is true here as anywhere ,i just find the american version strange as no doupt they do with us naming fish,on the other hand Homer caught "the General????" so their not unlike that much :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

over to Newt for the inside info

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I'm positive many people would say the same about people who impale fish on steel hooks, drag them around a bit then have their picture taken with them and then put them back so they can repeat the torture next week.

People in glass houses etc etc....!

Not at all. If someone was to take a thirty pound farmed carp, then put it in a goldfish pond and shoot it with either a bow and arrow or a shotgun, then your analogy might be correct. As it is, you are not comparing like with like - so you are incorrect.

Edited by Peter Sharpe

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I was just pointing out that just because you don't understand why someone else would want to hunt farmed animals it is naive to think that everyone else thinks your going fishing is completely rational!

Tim

Most of the US 'ranches' that offer this sort of hunting are decent size and the animals have been running wild for most, or all, of their lives. Not pen raised and released just before a hunt which would be sorta boring.

With usually 5000 acres (8 square miles) to 50000+ acres of land that usually includes a fair amount of mountains, it could offer decent sport. Some species like the bison would never be much of a challange but a 400lb Russian Boar in thick woodland could get exciting.

Not a thing I would enjoy but then again, neither is golf.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President