Hemp

Bigminnow

Capsaicin, the chemical in peppers that we taste as HOT, seems to appeal to carp at times. At others, it doesn't but I've never noticed it putting them off.

I usually have some liquid made from boiling the hottest peppers I can find for a while then letting the peppers steep until I'm ready to use some. I keep a bottle with my baits and when things are a little slow, I'll use some with a bait to see what effect it has.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Nope, I never add anything. Just boil it until it splits and, if I can be bothered, bottle the hempy water for groundbait. I have huge faith in hemp, I use it on virtually every trip for virtually every species. It works brilliantly on its own, I've never felt the need to try to improve it.

Incidentally, I picked up loads of carp last year by sprinkling a few grains right in the margins and fishing a single grain of corn on the lightest gear I thought I could get away with. This worked on many different lakes. I'm sure it's the hemp that makes this work.

However, I've tried and failed many times to catch ANYTHING on maize! I really liked the idea of it but ended up throwing out two sacks of the stuff when I moved. Never even had a bite on it, even in waters with loads of tench and bream. It was prepared properly, in case you're wondering. It's turned into a real bogey bait for me!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I soak for 24hrs

Get rid of dirty water.

Rinse in clean water.

Put hemp in saucepan.

Add boiling water from kettle.

Cook for 30mins until splitting.

Tip into a big bowl and add some spices and molasses sugar.

Cover with tin foil (hemp keeps slowly cooking).

When its cooled I bag it for freezing and keep the water for adding to groundbait etc.

I did try adding flavours during soking and cooking but think they will just get boiled away so now add anything as the stuff cools.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

However, I've tried and failed many times to catch ANYTHING on maize! I really liked the idea of it but ended up throwing out two sacks of the stuff when I moved. Never even had a bite on it,

Whew - I am glad to see there is at least one other angler in the world who has the same experience with the stuff.

I caught one carp on maize with a peach cobbler flavor about 4 years ago but nothing before or since and not from lack of trying.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Whew - I am glad to see there is at least one other angler in the world who has the same experience with the stuff.

I caught one carp on maize with a peach cobbler flavor about 4 years ago but nothing before or since and not from lack of trying.

Well I've caught on maize ;) Not in the UK but I have had success abroad on it - but it was used by the sackful.

Re hemp - I never flavour it either but I try not to use just hemp. I will mix hemp and groats together to give a slightly different smell and appearance. Back to particle flavours my mate swears by 'particle punch' a John Baker product. He catches more than his fair share of carp but whether or not the additive helps that I couldn't say.

Rob.

Guest Josh Iddon
Re hemp - I never flavour it either but I try not to use just hemp. I will mix hemp and groats together to give a slightly different smell and appearance.

Rob.

Rob im interested in using groats, how do you prepare them? and can the be brought from farm supplys ECT? Thanks alot, Josh :)

Rob im interested in using groats, how do you prepare them? and can the be brought from farm supplys ECT? Thanks alot, Josh :)

Yes they can be bought from farm suppliers.

I used to just pour boiling water over them and wait for 2-3 hours for the water to turn milky before I used them.

Guest Josh Iddon
Yes they can be bought from farm suppliers.

I used to just pour boiling water over them and wait for 2-3 hours for the water to turn milky before I used them.

Great thanks Si