Hemp

Bigminnow

I don't pre-soak groats, rather I bring them to the boil and immediately turn off the heat. They then go lovely and milky / sticky and once cooled a bit I mix them in with the hemp. I typically prepare them a day or two before fishing but longer is also fine - and they freeze well too.

Rob.

i add half pound of sugar and a couple tablespoons of rock salt to all my particles....then leave it near a heater for a day..it'll ferment and its really sticky...fish rip up the bottom big style on mix i use...

5k of hemp

5k of pigeon conditioner

3k of maple peas

plus the sugar and salt.

plus a bit of crushed chillie

pre bait for a few days (i do it for 3 nites a week for 3 weeks b4 fishing) and you'll notice the bottom will really clean up.....19 blank nites on the trot last year on our syndicate till i used this mix then i had 13 fish in 4 nites including 2 upper 20s that hadn't been out for well over a year trouble is fish get so pre occupied that every one else struggles on water that aint on same bait!!!!!

What cereal grain do you folks favor for your groats?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Ive used lots of hemp for carp but never tried flavouring it.Im quite suprised to hear that it takes a flavour.I usually add a bit of bi-carb to it when cooking though.Dont know if it really matters but its an old habbit from the match fishing.

As for maize,Ive caught all round the world on it (carp).Once again never bothered to flavour/colour it.As allready mentioned seems to work better once its fermented a bit. As indeed do most particles.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest Brumagem Phil
.As allready mentioned seems to work better once its fermented a bit. As indeed do most particles.

What do you think the science is behind this? I guess the fermenting process could release some fish attracing flavours, or it could just be that the bait tastes "aged" and hence the fish are less wary of it?

God knows Phill its just the way Ive found it to be!

I suppose the pseudo science brigade could put forward that as the particle ferments it is starting to break down thus releasing the various enzymes which break down the protein making it more avaailable to the carps digestive system....BUMP! just fell off me bedchair mate!

Synical unbelievers like me would say its most likely just because as it starts fermenting the sugars are released making it smell and taste more.

As I said I dont know Phil,I just take it at face value that it works best like this.Most (in fact all) regular users of particles Ive spoke to/read seem to agree on this.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!