birds in cages?

geffaz

Generally never shuts up talking, singing, whilstling etc etc. He dont really seemed that **** off to me :)

But that's because the poor sod has forgotten that he's a parrot and now thinks he's human. Do you *really* want to wish that on an innocent creature?

:huh:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah but your not a bird!

You call yourself "corydoras", a small armourd catfish which is kept in fishtanks, is that fair?

By the way all my Parrots are breeding pairs and wouldn't breed if they wern't fit, well fed and happy!!!!!!

Tigger.

The only valid way to assess how 'happy' any creature is in captivity is to watch its behaviour. If it is feeding ok, not plucking huge chunks of its own fur or feather out, or is interacting in its environment in a normal manner without the neurotic head swaying type behaviour of some of the big zoo animals, then whats the problem?

If they can sucessfully breed in captivity all the better.

There are obviously bad examples such as wild animals which have spent a good part of their lives living in an environment that can't be replicated in captivity, nobody in their right mind would agree to support that

We are so prone to putting Human emotions where they don't apply, it's no wonder animal issues can get so tangled. You need to show a great deal of objectivity if you want to begin to understand whats going on with our furred & feathered friends.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

'Free as a bird'

In fact, for many species, if a bird steps out of it's own territory, it's likely to be beaten up.

Birds that aren't strong enough to push another bird out of a territory and take possession, or find themselves evicted by a stronger neighbour have a short miserable existence.

(Any territory able to support and feed a bird and its family is already taken and defended)

And then the territory can no longer feed when the seasons change, involving a long arduous journey twice a year, when many weaker birds perish en route.

'Singing with Joy'

A terrifying battle cry to keep interlopers away! especially if you are a 'joyous' lark.

Then every moment you need to be on guard, for the hawk above and the stoat in the hedgerow.

Being in a cage, in year-round comfort, always well-fed and protected with a free medical plan and nice humans for company.

If I were a bird, I know which I would prefer.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

'Free as a bird'

In fact, for many species, if a bird steps out of it's own territory, it's likely to be beaten up.

Birds that aren't strong enough to push another bird out of a territory and take possession, or find themselves evicted by a stronger neighbour have a short miserable existence.

(Any territory able to support and feed a bird and its family is already taken and defended)

And then the territory can no longer feed when the seasons change, involving a long arduous journey twice a year, when many weaker birds perish en route.

'Singing with Joy'

A terrifying battle cry to keep interlopers away! especially if you are a 'joyous' lark.

Then every moment you need to be on guard, for the hawk above and the stoat in the hedgerow.

Being in a cage, in year-round comfort, always well-fed and protected with a free medical plan and nice humans for company.

If I were a bird, I know which I would prefer.

Now thats objective :lol::lol:

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Personally I think its reasonable to keep captive bred birds in adequate cages, I think parrots are happy with this arrangement...thus

We ''rescued'' a cockatiel about 17 years ago, the owners son was allergic to birds. I am the only one who cleans an feeds him, and yet the bloody thing hates me, and my three sons, only has eyes for the wife. As soon as she walks into the room its ''hello cheeky' repeated about fifty times, ''kiss kiss'' and so on. I guess its a sexual thing whereby he sees all males as the enemy. :blink:

BTW I believe cockatiels can live over 20 years of age is that right?

Personally I think its reasonable to keep captive bred birds in adequate cages, I think parrots are happy with this arrangement...thus

We ''rescued'' a cockatiel about 17 years ago, the owners son was allergic to birds. I am the only one who cleans an feeds him, and yet the bloody thing hates me, and my three sons, only has eyes for the wife. As soon as she walks into the room its ''hello cheeky' repeated about fifty times, ''kiss kiss'' and so on. I guess its a sexual thing whereby he sees all males as the enemy. :blink:

BTW I believe cockatiels can live over 20 years of age is that right?

Yeah they can live well over 20yrs.

Don't forget most birds are gregarious and your always better off with a pair and preferably a cock and hen.

I would say your cockatiel is a cock bird. The cock birds have brighter cheek patches and the hens have barrs under their flight feathers.

Tigger.

Birds arn't Little poeple in feathery suits all Birds show signs of Depression if thier Enviroment isn't spot on.Good husbandry results in healthy animals that in captivity often live years longer than there wild cousens. I would be supprised if they look through the bars of their cages at some manky old pigeon and think you lucky bugger Oh for the freedom to sit under a railway bridge and **** on pedestrians.

Maybe they do but I dought It.

I will say without hesitation though I dont agree to owening wild Caught anythings, I keep Herps and thier isnt much you cant get that isnt captive bred.

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Yeah they can live well over 20yrs.

Don't forget most birds are gregarious and your always better off with a pair and preferably a cock and hen.

I would say your cockatiel is a cock bird. The cock birds have brighter cheek patches and the hens have barrs under their flight feathers.

Tigger.

He definately is a cock bird Tigger with some of the antics he get up to with the missus :lol: