large bass turning up on the yorkshire coast

big_cod

Anglers have been getting quite a few big bass (5lb - 7lb) on the beaches, many have been lost as well including double figure fish, not being able to get them to a landing point. Don't want to say too much loose lips and all that. There are a couple of fishermen following specific reports and putting nets on the beaches the following tide, so if anyone hears of a specific report/venue, don't state where with any reports. Yorkshire is a big area so these netters will struggle to find the fish if they don't know exactly where.

Cod fishing is also phenominal, hasn't been like this for 10 years at least, probably 20yrs or more since we saw this amount of fish. 10 or more cod in a session to some anglers, whereas the majority are getting 6 or 7 cod in a session. Not big fish (2.5lb - 3.5lb) but there are the odd better fish thrown in, some into double figures.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anglers have been getting quite a few big bass (5lb - 7lb) on the beaches, many have been lost as well including double figure fish, not being able to get them to a landing point. Don't want to say too much loose lips and all that. There are a couple of fishermen following specific reports and putting nets on the beaches the following tide, so if anyone hears of a specific report/venue, don't state where with any reports. Yorkshire is a big area so these netters will struggle to find the fish if they don't know exactly where.

Cod fishing is also phenominal, hasn't been like this for 10 years at least, probably 20yrs or more since we saw this amount of fish. 10 or more cod in a session to some anglers, whereas the majority are getting 6 or 7 cod in a session. Not big fish (2.5lb - 3.5lb) but there are the odd better fish thrown in, some into double figures.

Sounds very encourageing doctor had some lads from hull off with me last week told me the same thing the beaches are fishing well down there ,seems as if there is a push of small codling on the beaches this year nice for the lads they have had it hard for a couple of winters .

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest binatone
Sounds very encourageing doctor had some lads from hull off with me last week told me the same thing the beaches are fishing well down there ,seems as if there is a push of small codling on the beaches this year nice for the lads they have had it hard for a couple of winters .

So I take it from this good news that the Whitby trawlers did not slaughter all the small fish then as first predicted? Arnold lockers estimations in the local paper where not so far off the mark then?

Guest @Winter@

Hi doc and BC,

Does make you wonder what is actually happening. I was talking to a scientist type chap the other day and a few other conservationist types and they suggested the cod recovery plan may actually be working. I just looked in amazement and thought are this bunch mad, we have seen one of the worst cod seasons on record. But these guys told me the same story of lots of cod on the holderness coast. I explained to them about our bad season and the only conclusion to be drawn was Whitbys Stock must have been wiped out as Whitby has more commercial fishing effort than most other places on the coast.

I understand the fish they have been catching have been mop size between a pound and a half and 2 pounds which is probably a year class earlier than the alleged good one whoose fish wont have reached legal takable size yet (my guess is these fish are averaging about 6-8 inch in length right now). Is there any news on the ICES - thousand times more codlings in the sea story. I think ICES do the first survey on that year class soon ? Surely cant be true though as global warming means cod can never recover!!!

Edited by @Winter@

So I take it from this good news that the Whitby trawlers did not slaughter all the small fish then as first predicted? Arnold lockers estimations in the local paper where not so far off the mark then?

No the pair teams butchered the local stock up here (small codlings ) during spawny time do trawlers working down but you woulkdnt know that as you work on CHARTERBOAT. :secret:

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest binatone
Can someone from Whitby help me out on this one as I'm getting a bit fuddeled.

Who exactly is Binatone supposed to be?

I don’t know Brian; I have been John of John and Michele? I have been the father of John of John and Michele I have been a man who moves stones all over the North Sea? I think for a short time I was a car mechanic from Whitby? I have ran a pleasure boat that apparently goes up and down the harbour on a daily bases? Now I work on a charter boat? I don’t know weather I actually own this charter boat or what port it works from? But as soon as I am told Brian I promise you that you’ll be the first to be told

hello Leon

Steve and Wurzel have both been saying that there are no big fish down where they are, assuming that the large bass have all gone to the South West to meet the winter pair trawlers.

I still maintain that most have as they always have done,at the moment if I was to fish all the bass spots around my patch out to 30 or even 40 miles I would struggle to cover the bottom of a fish box.

Just how many tons were landed on Whitby market from the local boats?

If we had the same fishing effort in this area there would also be more bass on the local market. I still maintain that the Science that say only 10% of bass migrate to the SW should be reversed to 90%. bearing in mind that the bass stock is increasing, (2004 ICES report saying that bass in areas IV and VII are fished sustainably, with the biomass sustained or increased since the mid 1990s) 10% of an increasing stock means more fish still on the grounds.

Perhaps the stock has increased much more in the last few years, proof that heavy pressure from pair trawlers does not have too much effect on stocks, now were there were just the odd fish, now there is the odd box or two.

Yorkshire is a big area so these netters will struggle to find the fish if they don't know exactly where.

Doc please give us a little credit as to knowing the grounds we work.

I expect the lads in Yorkshire know their patch.

Cod fishing is also phenominal, hasn't been like this for 10 years at least, probably 20yrs or more since we saw this amount of fish.

What planet are you on?

I fish to live and live to fish.