large bass turning up on the yorkshire coast

big_cod

Been down this morning to fishquay reports of plenty of bass landed here yesterday some as big 4 or 5 kilos bit quite a few in numbers , the trawlers fishing for whitefish have landed quite a few but the bigger ones were landed by one of the gillnetters who were targeting cod they are all saying what is going on is very unusual at this time of the year and there is now talk of actually trying to target them commercially with the numbers that are appearing.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest @Winter@

Apperently they get them in large numbers down at Flamborough which isnt too far away. They say they are exploited commercially there. Strange how all of a sudden they get a lot here though. Things are changing ?

Yes winter something strange is going on, talking to one of the lads this morning who usually goes longlineing and they are thinking of rigging up to have a go at the bass as the numbers are well on the increase weather it is just a flash in pan or it is now an ongoing trend we will have to wait and see ,if this is the case i think i wll seriously consider having a go a trying to catch them with rod and line over the wrecks .

(PS ITS SNOWING A BLIZZARD OUTSIDE AT THE MOMMENT)

Untitled-1.jpg

Looks like you guys are gonna benefit as well up north after all from the bmp and not just for the cod, bc get that livebait tank sorted :thumbs: and all this! before any thing as gone through, just imagine if things get implemented what the fishing is going to be like in a few years :clap2:

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Guest @Winter@

Some of the lads from Scarborough you know well through shore fishing target the bass from their boat in the summer. They say they get a lot of bass. May be worth you chatting with them about methods etc. I heared them mention live sandeels as a killer bait. Tope have also been mentioned as a possible sports fish target from our coast. You would have to get into catch and release mind otherwise youd have sam cox coming up to sink yer boat :D

I watched Henry Gilby bass fishing the other day and he gets well excited about it. Mind Henry would get excited over a rockling.

Edited by @Winter@

Hi stavey the thought had already crossed my mind some time ago on the live bait tank thing, i have caught quite a few bass over the years from the beach nothing bigger than 3 lb but these bigger fish now seem to be turning up might have to get a little trawl sorted to have a go trying to get the sandeels in summer from the beach .

Untitled-1.jpg

Steve and Wurzel have both been saying that there are no big fish down where they are, assuming that the large bass have all gone to the South West to meet the winter pair trawlers.

I wonder if they've gone North instead?

If those big Northern bass intend to join the shoals in the South West, I think that they've probably left it a bit late now!

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

If those big Northern bass intend to join the shoals in the South West, I think that they've probably left it a bit late now!

I have mentioned this before on other threads. Bass have small local spawning areas as well as the massive ones in the western english channel.