Kayak Lights

Ped

I've searched high and low to find a suitable light for my Kayak. I know that there are several that you can get from the US but do you know of any suppliers over here in the UK ?, also, who have you found to be the best supplier in the US for this sort of thing?

Reading back over previous threads people seem to have used deck lights, but try as I mite I cannot find any suitable for a YAK, can anyone give me the exact description of the light I should be looking for and perhaps a link or two to the Chandlers/suppliers.

Do they come with their own pole ? , if not , what do you use?

Many thanks

Ped

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As you don't need port and starboard light I was going to use a 360 degree

mast headlight and mount it on a pole about 4 foot high.

Others here my correct me if I'm wrong

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Ped

Chandlers do battery © powered emergency sets. I bought mine for about 17 squid. I have glued the white nav light on top of a piece of plumbing waste pipe and fitted it using cable ties to the outside of my crate. It just sits above my head. Only had to use it once, worked a treat. Richi would be able to say how effective it was as I couldnt see it from where i was. The set also comes complete with a Port and Starboard light. It wouldnt take the brains of an archbishop to attach them as well. The battery on a freezing night lasted 6 hours. I got mine from Alladins Cave chandlery in Southampton. DO a search Im pretty sure they will have a web address.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Just bought the same light set up for mine and made a holder for the pole which is attached to my coolbox as I don't like to use a crate-I'll post up some photos of the set up this weekend when I get the time -------------fishing tomorrow :fishing1:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Hiya Ped.

Already been said, all you need is a 360 all round white light.

Good idea to have a strong headlamp to, as back up for 360, and as a directional warning light.

Helps to see where your going too :)

Take a look at this link, some very helpfull info here.

http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Articles...ghtKayaking.htm

I have orderd kit from these guys before, with no problems.

Here is another link in the u.k.

http://www.kayaksandpaddles.co.uk/canoe/ka...t/first-aid.htm

Hope it helps.

YY :)

6 hours battery life seems a bit on the low side. Has anyone thought abut LED cycle lights ?

The new ones are incrediby bright and batteries last WAY in excess of that.

OK they are a 'Be seen' rather than a 'See by' light but isnt that what navigation lights are for ?

They come in Red and White, are waterproof, <_< , and wouldnt take much to adapt one to show green.

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

I was going to use the same battery as my fishfinder it is 7 amp hour and run it through to hull with a waterproof plug and socket

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

OK guys got my emergency light kit, looks like it'll do the trick, now!!......where do you get flourescent Flag material ?

Many thanks for the info.

Ped

Hi Ped

I thought you might be interested in my light system. The light is a standard anchor light from a chandlers with a replacement led 360 degree bulb from www.ultraLeds.co.uk . The pole is a telescopic car wash brush pole. I ran some wires through it and fitted a marine connector to the end, and to the yak.The brackets are unused rod holder mounts.The light is operated from one of the switches mounted below the compass. The other switches are for the compass backlight and fishfinder. The Led bulb is far superior to the original and can easily be seen even in daylight. Battery life is longer than i have been able to measure. A flag can easily be made from an old Hi Vis safety jacket and added to the pole.

Heres some pictures (i hope)

Dan

post-7031-1139682914_thumb.jpg