Kayak Lights

Ped

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shame ! I was hoping it was for the heat seeking harpoon. But Bud will do.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

last summer i was out fishing on a flat calm afternoon with my feet up on the dash and reclined in the seat ,enjoying a slow drift, when i saw the lifeboat heading for me at great speed.When he pulled alongside and asked if i was ok, and after i had thanked them for ruining the peace and quiet, they radioed in that i was fine and in a kayak that had more electronics on board than they had !!

Apparently somebody had seen a kayak drifting along with a lifeless body on board (ME)

Great story. Have been thinking about registering my trips with the Coastguard, timings, area, contact no etc.

I think Richi would back me up when I say that the night fishing was pretty special but it obviously comes with additional dangers. Does anybody else register there trips with the Coastguard?

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

i havent yet, but would if i was venturing further afield. It certainly cant do any harm to give them a call before leaving. . Having the VHF gives me a feeling of safety as i can speak directly to the coastguard on chnl 16 if im in trouble knowing that it is monitored. They can also triangulate the position of the radio.

For ights I use a waterproof torch/safety light with an all round lens. It fits in a mast that goes in the Scotty mount - or just in a lashing to the crate so it doesn't blind me. Has a visible range of about 1 mile (provided there isn't too much back glare from shore lights.)

Visibility jacket makes a good flag - you can pick one up from the side of the road for nothing if you keep eyes open! Otherwise, about £2 from a safety shop. Very light material. Easy to affix to the mast - roll it up around your mast and just unfurl it if you need it - saves windage.

My masthead light lives in the safety tub. 2 AA batteries gives me all night - but in the summer all night is only 5 hours max.

If you carry a VHF - call up the local coastguard co-ordinating station and give them your plan as you head out. In Plymouth this is the Longroom (at Mount Wise), they have CCTV cameras covering the entire sound and so can keep an eye on you.

Outside the sound the co-ordination then passes to Brixham coastguard.

For N. Wales it is Holyhead coastguard.

I call them up, tell them where I have launched, where I intend to be operating, eta ashore. It is imperative that you report back to them when you get ashore - otherwise they start a search procedure - which will begin with trying to contact you. Use correct radio etiquette and procedure, not slang, and you will go up in their estimation. They are bombarded with idiots all summer long - including hoaxes and all manner of stupidity. We need to engender the feeling that kayak users are sensible, well prepared and knowledgeable. That way you will save unecessary call outs.

Remember, if you use a VHF you are required to have a certificate of operation (when I did mine it was the Restricted RT Certificate) AND a license to use one. The certificate states that you can answer the telephone, - it actually shows that you know the correct procedures. The Ships Radio Licnese is for the set - a handheld is £15 per year (unless it has gone up. Got to renew mine).

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Many thanks everyone for your input, a good thread for a lot of people I hope....certainly is for me.

By the way, am up at the Mawddach (annual holiday with the kids, parents, brothers and all) at the end of July beginning Aug, maybe I could meet up with someone in the area, they could show me some of the spots !!??

Ped

Ah! what you will be wanting is a Scotty Sea Light..... $37 'ish. Can come with pole and suction cup and/or fit to Scotty rod holder bracket. Also can be clipped to life jacket...the very thing. See attached link.

Rog.

http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/catalog/se...ght_2159934.htm

Kayaks: OK Tungsten Caper - Orange & White Alaw Bach - Orange Rockhopper - Pyranha Inazone 232.