Trim Tabs experience. Anyone know of a good make?

solent fisher

Porpoising is as the name suggests. The boat pitches up and down when underway even on flat water. not a very desirable thing in any boat.

Take a look here for a fuller description and also some suggestions as to the cause and cure.

Also on the same page is a boat safety course. http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/ I have tried the first section and it looks like fun. OK its american orientated but its free... unless you really want to take the final exam and get the certificate :rolleyes:

Scored 70% on the boat section (but i was conned :P ) Looking further down the page is an advanced quiz I will have a look at later.

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

I had bennet trim tabs on my previous boat they were an absolute must,i needed them to bring the head down or without them her stern would just dig in thuss looseing a lot of speed, but they are good when in bad weather for trimming the vessel back over to the weather side gives you a much better ride.

Thinking of putting them on my new vessel i think it will only improve the overall performance of the vessel.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Porpoiseing:

Sounds like the engine is not at the right hight on the transom? Need to check the speed range for the hull as well?

List when going at speed:

Can also be due to the Torqu trim tab not set correctly, seen this one on big engine/small boat before. You wont stop the weight sensative list on a smal boat, just ask you crew to "move to trim the boat".

CJS2

Edited by CJS2

There are certain Hulls that are just a bad design and I am wondering if this is one of them.

One in particular I am thinking off ( I don't want to name it for legal reasons) would slam in a force 2. I drove 300 miles for a test drive, got 200 yards from the harbour and told the owner to turn round.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

There are certain Hulls that are just a bad design and I am wondering if this is one of them.

One in particular I am thinking off ( I don't want to name it for legal reasons) would slam in a force 2. I drove 300 miles for a test drive, got 200 yards from the harbour and told the owner to turn round.

My boat slams if you go to slow, get up on the plane and get the nose down no probs. Go on, give me a clue what it was you tested.

This may sound wierd but the forward and back trim angle can affect side to side stability on some deep vee hulls. I had bad stability problems on my Alaska 500 until the engines were trimmed by a hole or two on the transom angle adjustment bar. Then it ran on rails. You might want to try that in case it works, then you won't have to spend any money. I have trim tabs on my Trophy that came factory fitted, but to be honest I rarely use them unless on a long run, a beam wind and with a lardy mate.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk