Ron Thomson and Bargepoles?

Sythor

Sythor,

I recently used a Ron Thompson Rod and Reel (£39.99) and although it is not as good a quality rod and reel as I have myself I was very impressed with the quality of it. It fished quite well and is quite stiff and bite detection was good and it is A LOT better than several 'cheaper' rods ane reels I have used. If you are new to sea angling then I would recommend one to start with. Then if you find you dont like sea angling you wont lose too much when you sell it. If you DO like sea angling then you can either PX it when you upgrade OR use it as a second rod or if someone asks you to go fishing with you, you will have a spare rod and reel for them. I dont see the point of spending a fortune on a rod and reel to start with just in case you dont take to sea angling.

Either way GIVE IT A GO!! and ENJOY

I have 3 Ron Thompson rods and find them great value for money. Rods have a hard life on a boat and they seem to take it - if I had nicer rods I'd spend all my time worrying about chipping the varnish. The combos with Okuma reels are best - bit plasticky but strong enough and a bargain.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Hello Sythor.

Yes, you get what you pay for. But sometimes you`re just paying for the badge?

If you can afford the top of the range, go for it, you`ll get the best.

But lower down on the price scale, Ron Thompson rods rods are the equal of standard Penn,Abbu etc.

I`ve got several Ron Thompson rods that have given myself years of good service. Whilst a few Penn and Shimano`s have let me down. I regret paying £50 extra for the `badge`!!

But if we all sat back and thought about it. The technology that goes into modern cheaper rods, would outclass the build of rods that we were happy to pay over a hundred pounds for 5 years ago?

Shoot me down if you like. But unless you pay for perfection, there`s not a lot of difference lower down the scale? (£30 comb`s excepted).

:rolleyes: Paul. :rolleyes:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!