Rod size advice

Ian FG

Also by getting casting lessons you will find out the type of rod that suits your style.

Failing that choose a tackle dealer who will let you try various rods.

Where abouts are you situated? If anywhere near to an AW reservoir you can get lessons and try out loads of rods etc.

It might be worth a trip to the Anglian region?

Colin

• 1 month later...

Hi

A heavier rod isn't always easier to cast, it's all about balance. I can't really see any requirement to go heavier than a 5 weight for trout fishing in the UK. I regularly use a 3 weight, and I am by no means a great caster, as Jim Doyle I am sure would agree!

It's all about enjoying the experience, and a 5 wt with a good floating line and a little spider or buzzer is a lot more fun than pulling daft great lures on an 8wt Tarpon rod, in my opinion

Dave :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Buying a new fly rod. Best to try it our first. Find a dealer with a casting pool. They are few are far between. Two that I know off are Walkers of Trowell ( Nottingham ) and Sportsfish ( location ? ).

I won an expensive rod years ago and it was rubbish.

Years ago, before I knew better, was after a fly rod endorsed by a known FF, my then boss bought one and when I gave it a try was thankful I had not wasted my money.

You find different rods / makes etc have actions that will or will not match your style of casting. One of my best rods was a cheapo ABU ( Diplomat 10' 7wt ) what cost at the time about £50.00. A twonk shut it in the car door so I went out and bought the updated version which, though light as a feather, did not have such a nice action.

You'll find that if you can try out some rods you could get a surprise, you don't have to spend huge sums. Make sure you take your own reel/line(s) along.

General nymph fishing with a floating line I perfer a 9ft 6 or 7wt. If you are into fast sinking lines, fishing heavy nymphs or lures step up one weight. My recomemation would be to stick with the lighter set up and fish finer. It's far more rewarding. Add a foot to the length if you intend to do a lot of boat fishing with a team of droppers.

Andrew Boyd

Sportfish is in Reading.

There's also Peter Cockwill: Albury Game Angling

The Street, Albury

Surrey, GU5 9AG (bought my gear there - excellent service).

Also, just to add, when I went there Peter gave me around 8 rods to go out and cast with. First though, he removed the price tags and asked me to tell him which was the better rod for me. Ended up with a Greys for a fraction of the price of some of them, so I'd definately agree that price isn't everything.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Edited by Elton