John Wilson 5 Piece Travel Avon/Quiver Rod

Black Rabbit

Used the quiver tip and the avon top. Only real test has been largish chub and smallish barbel. Went legering for big bream but didn't get any.

it's OK, not like the old Masterline one, but enjoy it while you can. The reel fittings break under the corks, and two eyes fell out within three years of not very hard use.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

. The reel fittings break under the corks, and two eyes fell out within three years of not very hard use.

Meanwhile, some of my split-bamboos that I acquired second-hand sixty years ago are still operational after over a century of use !

I regard some of these brand names as just another way of spelling Caveat emptor

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Meanwhile, some of my split-bamboos that I acquired second-hand sixty years ago are still operational after over a century of use !

I regard some of these brand names as just another way of spelling Caveat emptor

Yep maybe, but a sign of the times and you get what you pay for I would say. You can buy 10 JW travel rods for todays average weekly wage. What did your bamboos cost Dave?

• Like 1

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

. What did your bamboos cost Dave?

Nothing !!

The second-hand batch referred to in Post #3 I bought in the 1960s as a job lot from a house clearance.

About eight rods, four split-bamboo and four greenheart. a number of serviceable reels including an Ambidex, an Allcocks Aerial and two or three fly reels. A couple of bags of tackle (lots of Devon minnows and other lures from that era), a couple of landing nets, and an artist's easel.

The whole shebang for a fiver.

Somebody almost snatched my hand off when I advertised the easel for a fiver.

So all that gear for free in effect, unless you count my time and trouble spent in re-furbishing the rods.

Most of the rest of my split-bamboos I made up from blanks myself - and a couple of weeks wages for a rod blank that will last a century seemed good value - even if they need refurbishing every thirty years or so.

RNLI Governor

Nothing !!

The second-hand batch referred to in Post #3 I bought in the 1960s as a job lot from a house clearance.

About eight rods, four split-bamboo and four greenheart. a number of serviceable reels including an Ambidex, an Allcocks Aerial and two or three fly reels. A couple of bags of tackle (lots of Devon minnows and other lures from that era), a couple of landing nets, and an artist's easel.

The whole shebang for a fiver.

Somebody almost snatched my hand off when I advertised the easel for a fiver.

So all that gear for free in effect, unless you count my time and trouble spent in re-furbishing the rods.

Most of the rest of my split-bamboos I made up from blanks myself - and a couple of weeks wages for a rod blank that will last a century seemed good value - even if they need refurbishing every thirty years or so.

I don't see much wrong with what blanks are made of today Dave. Many of my cheaper end composite and carbon rods are 30+ years old and still going strong. Maybe some rods are put together with cheap fittings, but as I said you get what you pay for. Is that not how it has always been?

I don't see much wrong with what blanks are made of today Dave. Many of my cheaper end composite and carbon rods are 30+ years old and still going strong. Maybe some rods are put together with cheap fittings, but as I said you get what you pay for. Is that not how it has always been?

You are right Brian...the more you pay "usually" gets you a higher quality item. If it doesn't then someones been ripped off, so it's buyer beware !

I don't see much wrong with what blanks are made of today Dave.

Can ya tread on 'em ? :):)

"You get what you pay for"

Hmmmmm

I saw a bloke bust a £700-odd fancy carbon fibre trout fly rod when a four-pound rainbow hit his streamer

Would never happen with split-bamboo :)

But as you know, I will use greenheart, bamboo, glass, carbon or any other material from which rods can be made. I like using split-bamboo, but I don't make a religion out of it.

Its just that my wooden rods have outlasted everything else.

RNLI Governor

Can ya tread on 'em ? :):)

"You get what you pay for"

Hmmmmm

I saw a bloke bust a £700-odd fancy carbon fibre trout fly rod when a four-pound rainbow hit his streamer

Would never happen with split-bamboo :)

But as you know, I will use greenheart, bamboo, glass, carbon or any other material from which rods can be made. I like using split-bamboo, but I don't make a religion out of it.

Its just that my wooden rods have outlasted everything else.

Maybe I lack a bit of sole. My boss turned up with a smile on his face and a little old tractor thing that has a motorbike engine and tracks the other day ("did I fancy doing it up?"). Looks like it was the first update from the carthorse. I was told its still got a spark, but I didn't bother to find out and just used the forks to move it to a dark corner where it can live for another hundred years.......

If you need a folklift, let me know Dave. :)