what is a complicated rig?

Guest Josh Iddon

Guest Josh Iddon

In this months ACF Lee Jackson describes how he likes to keep his rigs simple but then goes on to say how much he likes the 'Withy Pool rig' and the '360 degree rig', these are far from simple rigs, quite advanced really. Im constantly hearing people say 'keep it simple' but they dont!

Could someone please define a 'complicated rig' to me? :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Edited by Josh Iddon

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Josh - I think 'keep it simple' is more a matter of using the simplest rig that suits the local fishing conditions.

Most of the complicated ones were probably developed to meet specific and unusual conditions and using them where you don't have those conditions makes no sense unless you enjoy doing up fancy rigs or unless you think it makes you look to be an expert.

Most of the bait rigs I use are as simple as I can make them. However, many (most?) of them would result in blank sessions if I tried them in the UK.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Josh, I've seen the different and sometimes very complicated rigs available. In my opinion it's a case of each to their own.

I sometimes think many of the rigs you see in the books have been devised by bored carp anglers who whilst sitting waiting for a run have come up with something different. They then use it, catch on it and whoosh, there you go, a winning rig!

Fish with the rigs you are more comfoertable with. I have to say I would have more faith using a simple rig I have caught many on rather than casting out something complicated and untried by myself.

Stick with what you know best Josh. :thumbs:

can't agree more gaz. all my rigs (not carp specific, i don't fish for stillwater carp anymore) are tried and tested, and simple as can be. why complicate things, lifes hard enough already :)

that's right newt, prepare yourself for those blanks :)

Nope. No way. I plan to get expert help on rigs & baits & tactics and then if I blank, to loudly blame the experts.

It may not put any fish on the bank but at least the yelling should help me keep warm. :lol:

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Josh - I think 'keep it simple' is more a matter of using the simplest rig that suits the local fishing conditions.

Most of the complicated ones were probably developed to meet specific and unusual conditions and using them where you don't have those conditions makes no sense unless you enjoy doing up fancy rigs or unless you think it makes you look to be an expert.

Josh,Uncle Newt may live on the opposite side of a very big pond and he most likely wouldnt know the difference between a "d" rig and a "revolver" rig but you know what? I reckon he has answered your question perfectly!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

.. he most likely wouldnt know the difference between a "d" rig and a "revolver" rig

LOL - unless a 'revolver rig' is designed to let you carry a revolver-style pistol, I would not have the first clue what either of those was.